Mismatching Colors? WTF!!

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

1999 3800 grand prix gt
The worst part about this is you could have got the right harness at Walmart for $5. Instead you created a massive headache.

If I were you Id go to a junk yard and cut out the headunit harness and make sure there is enough wire to solder it back on. Then do it right.

It isn't telling you to use the same wire for two different things. It is telling you what wires correspond with which wiring.
You would match up the 12V constant for the factory to the 12V constant for the aftermarket unit....and so on.....

Example.....

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange TO Yellow 12V Constant / Memory

1. So First you would wire the Orange from your factory wiring to the Yellow on your aftermarket radio wiring.

You are making this way more difficult than it has to be.

Example Two

2. Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow TO Red Switch / Accessory

So you would wire the yellow wire from your factory wiring to the Red "ignition/Switched 12V" on your aftermarket Head Unit Wiring.

If that doesn't make sense I really don't know how else to explain this to you

I can even see in the picture you posted that the colors seem to be correct.

Also make sure your vehicle is off and if things dont work when you turn the car on try hitting the power button on the radio or checking your ACC fuse for the car.
I get what you're saying. I DID do it just how your diagram showed, but it was slightly confusing. I will post you the exact order in which I connected the wires and what wires I got confused with.

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Brown

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Gray

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Common aftermarket Wiring Colors

Yellow 12V Constant / Memory

Red Switch / Accessory

Black Ground

Blue Antenna Remote

Blue with White Stripe Amplifier Remote Turn-on

Orange with White Stripe Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination

Green Left Rear Speaker (+)

Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)

White Left Front Speaker (+)

White with Black Stripe Left Front Speaker (-)

Purple Right Rear Speaker (+)

Purple with Black Stripe Right Rear Speaker (-)

Gray Right Front Speaker (+)

Gray with Black Stripe Right Front Speaker (-)
*Stock =(s) Aftermarket=(a)

Car radio battery constant. Orange(s)+yellow(a)

Car radio accessory. yellow(s)+red(a) (Which yellow wire? There are two.)

Car radio wire. black(s)+black.(a) (Does this mean I cut off the spade terminal on the aftermarket stereo to do it?)

Car illumination/dimmer: Brown(s)+orange(a) with white stripe

Car Dimmer. Gray (s) (Do I connect all three brown orange with white stripe and gray wires together?)

Left front speaker positive. White(a)+tan(s)

Left front speaker negative. White with black stripe(a)+gray(s) (Wait so the same gray wire as the car dimmer wire? There is only one gray wire.)

Right front speaker positive. Light green(s)+gray(a)

Right front speaker negative Dark green(s)+gray with black stripe(a)

Left Rear speaker postive Brown(s)+green(a) (The same wire that is used for car illumination? There is only one brown wire.)

Left rear speaker negative green with black stripe(a)+yellow(s) (Again which yellow wire do I use? There are two.)

Right rear speaker positive Dark blue(s)+purple(a) (Which dark blue wire? There are three.)

Right rear speaker negative Light blue(s)+purple with black stripe(a)

Can you see why I'm having a hard time? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I can see your confusion. It is sometimes hard to see the diff in colors. Purple....dark blue....etc

First I would ignore the dimmer....you don't need to wire illumination or dimmer for the aftermarket HU.

I would first try to get the Power, Ground, and Ignition "switched" wires right and see if you can get the unit to kick on. The others may be trial and error.

you could go buy the harness and compare the wires that are connected up....even if you dont use it. Hell.... walmart will take anything back. lol

Where is a good place to connect the ground cable? Would lack of proper ground cause it not to turn on? I think I've got the rest figured out but it isn't turning on. It may be a fuse that's blown but I've seen that happen before and I don't think that's it.

Yes. DC electronics NEED a ground.

Just connect the two black wires together. You can cut the spade connector off if you need to and just use a butt connector to connect the two. But I am guessing you are probably just taping the wires anyways...no offense

Yes. DC electronics NEED a ground.
Just connect the two black wires together. You can cut the spade connector off if you need to and just use a butt connector to connect the two. But I am guessing you are probably just taping the wires anyways...no offense
Lol nah man none taken. It's pretty obvious I'm new to this so I don't get offeneded when people say negative **** or facepalm me haha. I'm just trying to learn and it's all part of the process. Anyways I'm using crimps so would that work instead of a butt connector? I should also mention my stock wires don't include solid black. Only a black with a white stripe. Is this the same? Thanks for all the help and advice man.

Lol nah man none taken. It's pretty obvious I'm new to this so I don't get offeneded when people say negative **** or facepalm me haha. I'm just trying to learn and it's all part of the process. Anyways I'm using crimps so would that work instead of a butt connector? I should also mention my stock wires don't include solid black. Only a black with a white stripe. Is this the same? Thanks for all the help and advice man.

hmm i dunno the colors i found must be wrong..... do some searching on the12volt.com

hmm i dunno the colors i found must be wrong..... do some searching on the12volt.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

xander37

10+ year member
xander37
louisville, ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from