Messed up Bass knob????? Powerbass asa 1500 dx

Participant count
  • Participant list

Xenzo

I just bought a powerbass asa 1.5kdx from a guy off cl. It came with the bass knob but no cord. So I went to radioshack, got the six pin phone cord and plugged it in.

Instead of controlling gain, it like sends a dc current to my sub somehow, and when I turn the knob, it just moves the sub in and out, controlling the offset of the excursion.

Would this be a bad connection inside the knob, inside the rj25 jack, the cord wiring, or in the jack on the amp?

How can I fix this?

The manufaturer doesnt sell the cord individually.....

I would have to buy a whole new bass knob for $20+

If anything, I can rewire the cord

Im mainly trying to find out what could cause the bass knob to be sending dc current to my sub

Take a look at the connectors on the cord you bought. Some telephone jack cords are reverse, meaning that pin 1 on one end is actually pin 6 on the other end. If that's the case , buy some RJ-14 connectors and a cheap crimp tool and replace one end so that it matches the other end.

Or, find someone in the phone business and ask if they will replace the end for you.

Okay, ill try changing the wiring in the cord around.

If that doesnt work, ill open up the knob and amp and see if the boards have a diagram, or a short

It would be a really good idea to get a look at a known working cord before you do any buying and swapping of connectors.

And I would bet good money that there's no diagram or other visual indication to be found if there is in fact a problem with the amp or the knob. The knob is just a variable resistor with, possibly, a few SMDs on a small PCB.

And if you can't get it fixed, don't sweat it... just order Axxess AALC 2-Ch Remote Level Controller 266-008 from Parts Express for $8.00.

The cord I have has solid connections, but it might not be wired the same way as the cords powerbass used

Ill troubleshoot the problem some more and try a few different things. If it comes down to it, i'll get a new controller.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.