MECP certified.

95BlackGA
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
I'm just wanting to know how difficult the Basic MECP exam is? I just bought a study guide from a fellow forum member, and probably won't take the test for a few months. I'm going to thoroughly study the guide before I ever attempt any tests. This is something I've been wanting to do for basically the past 13+ years, so I'm going to definitely try my hardest on this, just wanting to know the more difficult parts of the basic exam?

heard it was a joke and i knew people who took the test and passed and were "expert installers" that were a joke. but then again, could have been their work ethic.

mostly imo - that **** is about alarms\starters - IMO.

stereo **** can not be taught with an exam. only expierence.

Well, I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to installs, and pairing equipment fairly well. The main reason I'm getting this is because most audio shops around here won't even look at you unless you're MECP/ASE certified. I REALLY want to work in the car audio world. I never graduated highschool, so this will hopefully be a good thing on my part until I can get in to take my G.E.D. test, or get a highschool diploma. I took the practice exam, and the questions involve Ohm's Law, install techniques, electrical, and other things. I know I'm not nearly as qualified as I could be, just by studying the study guide, so either way, I'm going to have better credentials either way.

Nobody can really tell you how difficult the test is because it's about 90% memory and 10% computation, and even those questions involve remembering the formulas.

If you can recall the information, it'll be a breeze, if not, well you'll be sitting there scratching your head for a while and probably not do very well.

Specific things that you need to know for the test :

-Ohms law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (calculating wattage, amperage, voltage, and resistance)

-Every question from the practice test is on the real test

-Resistor bands

-Crossover components and their functions (Inductors, capacitors, etc)

-How to wire a relay

-Basic electrical components and their functions (Diodes, resistors, transistors, etc)

-Know proper wire routing

-There is a surprising amount of shop operation/safety questions (Protecting client vehicles, fire extinguishers, crap like that)

There's plenty of other stuff but that's all the really specific things I can tell you.

Well, I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to installs, and pairing equipment fairly well. I know I'm not nearly as qualified as I could be, just by studying the study guide, so either way, I'm going to have better credentials either way.
you claim to be quite knowledgeable and you didnt know that signal wires had to be shielded from emi?
strange. good luck guy.
I did claim to be knowledgeable about installs, and being able to pair the equipment quite well. I never once said I knew why the equipment is made the way it is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif But, yes I know I still have A LOT to learn. I'm doing this to become an INSTALLER not, one who designs/makes the products going into the install. Anyway, thanks, and I'm positive I'll need the luck.

Req, I just got what you meant. Yeah, I'm slow... Anyway. Yes, I know that Signal cables could be interfered with by power wires, which is the reasonings for running source and signal cables must be ran on separate sides of the vehicle. I don't know why I didn't realize this. This is exactly why I run my power cables under my car, and not inside my vehicle, even with my RCA's on the other side of the car.

Nobody can really tell you how difficult the test is because it's about 90% memory and 10% computation, and even those questions involve remembering the formulas.
If you can recall the information, it'll be a breeze, if not, well you'll be sitting there scratching your head for a while and probably not do very well.

Specific things that you need to know for the test :

-Ohms law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (calculating wattage, amperage, voltage, and resistance)

-Every question from the practice test is on the real test

-Resistor bands

-Crossover components and their functions (Inductors, capacitors, etc)

-How to wire a relay

-Basic electrical components and their functions (Diodes, resistors, transistors, etc)

-Know proper wire routing

-There is a surprising amount of shop operation/safety questions (Protecting client vehicles, fire extinguishers, crap like that)

There's plenty of other stuff but that's all the really specific things I can tell you.
definitely taking this to use, thank you

I just finished chapter 2. I have over 7 pages of notes to go over and over to remember most of what I need to know, and some that I don't necesarilly need to know, but I can use it, 'cause it's useful information. It has taken me a while just to get through chapters 1 and 2, and I have 3 more chapters to get through. It's definitely helped a lot though. I took the practice test before I even got the study guide and I failed with a score of 59%, I now am passing with a score of 78% ( I know, I know, it's still not the best score, but still good considering my starting score. ) If anyone is wanting to become certified, or just learn more about car audio/installs in general, this is a good complitation of useful knowledge. I still think anyone even thinking about taking the test should look over bcae1.com. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'm just wanting to know how difficult the Basic MECP exam is? I just bought a study guide from a fellow forum member, and probably won't take the test for a few months. I'm going to thoroughly study the guide before I ever attempt any tests. This is something I've been wanting to do for basically the past 13+ years, so I'm going to definitely try my hardest on this, just wanting to know the more difficult parts of the basic exam?
u have been wanting to do this since u were less than 5 years old.. pretty **** dedicated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

95BlackGA

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
95BlackGA
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date