Mechman 270

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rocky213
10+ year member

South FL
I just put the alternator in my car today and the battery light on the dash stays on..its a 2003 ford explorer..i called matt and he said to wire the yellow wire on the harness straight to the positive output on the alternator..i did that and the alternator didnt even turn on my batterys were at 12.5..so i put it back the other way ..im getting 14.3 should i not worry bout the batt light on the dash? or should i get another alternator?

the battery light bulb gives a slight amount of resistence to the exciter wire that is what makes the alternator start producing voltage. that said let me ask you how many wires does this alt have? i am pretty sure that the yellow wire is your exciter wire and it should have been hooked up to the little wire that was hooked up on your original alt. if done right your light will only come on when the key is on and the engine not runing or when the alt has failed. if the rep at mechman told you to wire it that way then he is full of crap and thats the kind of stuff that i have heard from others about mechman. you pay good money for an alt and then the rep tells you to drive around with the battery light on.

the rep told me the white is a dead wire.. i tried switching the green and yellow and i got 17 volts so i put it back..can i drive for a while with the batt light on or is it not safe

it should be safe as long as you have 14.4 just a pain in the butt. your original harness would have had an exciter wire plus one that prolly went to the computer. dont know why you got a new alt but if the old one still works you may want to put it back in untill you get the right wiring figured out. to do that you will need to know what the wires on the new alt are for like yellow for field and green for exciter. then find out what the wires in the exploder harness were for so you can get them right.

im getting 14.4 but when i stop at a red light it drops to 13.2-13.5 even when im not playing any music..whats up with that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Rocky213

10+ year member
Rocky213
South FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from