MB Quarts Onyx 4.80

Participant count
  • Participant list

sqhertz
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Miami ,Fl
anyone have anything to say about these amps? they seem to be priced very low for the amount of power theyre rated to put out. MB Quart ONX4.80 ONYX 4-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp

i remember reading something about there being a lot of plastic in these amps...or was it the lower series?

i would be running a set of components and a small 8" sub like an E8. i was also looking at kickers zx350.4 simply because ive never had any problems with any kicker amp ive owned in the past but they are a little more expensive than the MBQ.. suggestions for a similarly rated amp?

I just installed one in a buddy's ride, I'm happy with it. He's happy with it. It's only driving stock component speakers right now, so there's not much to say really. I mean, they sound good and loud and clear. I have the gains all the way down on the amp.

It certainly is a lot of plastic though, which keeps it light. It still has heat fins too, so that's good. I don't know much about amps, and I'm not a refined SQ judge so I really can't say much more about it, other than it is getting the job done, and at a very low cost.

If you're open to looking used, the Kicker kx 350.4 go on eBay for under $100 quite often, and I think that'd be a better deal. Note, that is the kx, not the zx.

boo, plastic. im not looking to buy an amp and replace it later down the road. ive owned both the earlier KX and the ZX kicker amps and loved em.

i dont mind going used but would rather avoid ebay when buying amps. maybe something from the classifieds...

People say these amplifiers are ok. My only concern would be to have this amplifier installed optimally for cooling. I have a 4x80 watt MB Quart REF4 amplifier powering my woofers and tweeters in bi-amp setup. When there is cargo in the trunk that obstructs air movement around the amplifier, it sometimes shuts off playing songs with thick mid-bass. I assume that if you bridge a couple of channels and run subwoofer off them, the amplifier will become even more sensitive to heat issues.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sqhertz

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
sqhertz
Miami ,Fl
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date