Massive audio CKX 6x9 Components Review

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Review of Speaker:

Massive audio CKX 6x9 components, Just as the name suggests, they are MASSIVE!

So after some long listening time with these, I thought I'd let you guys know how they sound like.

Right out the box the highs are screaming and mids are weak, but after running the auto eq on the 80 prs, its sounded much better.

I'm running them off a ppi phantom 900.4 crossed at 100 hz and I have to say, they really cant take that much power unless you ditch the passive crossover and run active. Seems like its making the tweeter do the majority of the work for mids and highs, too much power seems to go to the tweets and not enough goes to the midbass.

Pretty sure the crossover points for the passive crossover is 1500hz on the midbass and everything up is handled by the tweeter which is really straining it on higher volume levels. The overall volume level was kind of disappointing too, I'm sure it'll be a lot louder if ran active though, however it is pretty loud, just not as loud as My expectations of it considering how beefy this set is.

As for the sound, definitely not a set for rock and metal or fast paced music, instrument separation is not as great as can be, lower midrange is weak even in a properly treated door. Subtle lower midrange guitar sounds are pretty muffled so jazz and blues does not sound good on this set. Midbass is weak but it makes up for it in sub bass.

With the cons out of the way, This set is BEAUTIFUL on EDM, Trance, RnB, Rap, Hip Hop, dubstep and Vocal heavy genres. Soundstage is excellent Tweets are never harsh, with enough details and brightness. I have them mounted on the sail panels on axis with -3 db on the passive crossover.

Its not a fully natural warm sound but its still very clean and smooth. Hearing vocals and background vocals is not a problem with this set, its very pronounced. With the midbass, its very very beefy and requires a large mounting depth. You can literally take off high pass filter and it'll play like a subwoofer in your doors which is great for those who do not want to add a sub, it'll play with decent authority down to high 30hz if need be. This is overall a very good sounding set if your music library has multiple genres EXCLUDING classic rock, blues, metal and other instrument heavy fast paced music.

never thought i'd say this but... i miss metal dome tweets on my 80 prs. Silk domes are waaay too soft and smooth for me, would probably enjoy it more if I had a sub-par head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Jeffdachef

5,000+ posts
Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Jeffdachef
South Coast Metro, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies