Major power dimming question...

OoMesKoO
10+ year member

Me > Newbs. :fyi:
Rhode Island
Sup guys. Something doesnt seem right to me here. I have a Tahoe, stock 100A alt. and a hifonics BX1500D. Now, dimming is REDICULOUS in my truck. Like... below 12v low. I dont understand it either. I have the stock batt. and the big 3 done. But my question is, does the power wire itself have anything to do with it? Its not really high quality wire, but its also only 4 gauge. Would a run of 0/1 be a better choice to stop the dimming? I dont think i need a HO alt w/ only a bx1500d do i? Any ideas.... lemme know!

Thanks!

Bradd

Check your connections at your battery and alternator and all the big 3 wires. I was getting dimming with no system in last week and i thought my alternator or battery was goin bad but i tightened up connections and things are fine now.

A buddy of mine competes with his Tahoe with a stock alternator and 4 powerbass 3000's on it, ...he of course has a few batteries extra, but I remember when he was only using 2 batteries and his dimming wasnt real bad..... so I suspect perhaps a bad cell in your battery. You dont necessairly have to buy some $250 battery to fix it, just get one of those $50 walmat battery replacements and see how that helps....if all the problem is was a bad cell, then you're golden.

Sup guys. Something doesnt seem right to me here. I have a Tahoe, stock 100A alt. and a hifonics BX1500D. Now, dimming is REDICULOUS in my truck. Like... below 12v low. I dont understand it either. I have the stock batt. and the big 3 done. But my question is, does the power wire itself have anything to do with it? Its not really high quality wire, but its also only 4 gauge. Would a run of 0/1 be a better choice to stop the dimming? I dont think i need a HO alt w/ only a bx1500d do i? Any ideas.... lemme know!
Thanks!

Bradd
There are voltage drops on any resistance in the wiring schematic, which means any wire/grounding point/connection point.

Check all of you grounding resistances, a 2ga or 1/0ga would be a better choice, for the power wire.

You may need a larger alternator, but if you minimize the grounding resistances, and have the wire large enough, you'll have less dimming issues.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.