Maiking power at 4ohms

Blown Camaro

Been out of the car audio game for a long, long time. Mid 90's to be exact. Got back in a couple years ago and didn't really understand Class D amps or why people run subs at 1ohm or less now. Seems like a near dead short to me! LOL. We always bridged our amps and ran around a 4ohm load to one channel. Are there any NEW amps that make decent power at 4 ohms in Class D? Or do aI need a 2 channel AB and bridge it? I have some old school 8ohm Kicker subs I really want to use.

Would like to keep the sub amp

Thanks!

Some people use Class D amps for subs.

The o/s Kickers...can't be anymore than what a few 100 watts for both?

Prob need a 200-300 watt amp.

Been out of the car audio game for a long, long time. Mid 90's to be exact. Got back in a couple years ago and didn't really understand Class D amps or why people run subs at 1ohm or less now. Seems like a near dead short to me! LOL. We always bridged our amps and ran around a 4ohm load to one channel. Are there any NEW amps that make decent power at 4 ohms in Class D? Or do aI need a 2 channel AB and bridge it? I have some old school 8ohm Kicker subs I really want to use.
Would like to keep the sub amp

Thanks!
How much power are you looking for?

The subs are rated 400RMS each.
I could get you Zapco power but $200 isn't enough. You're going to need a relatively big mono amp, a monster 2-channel amp, or a 4-channel amp to run bridged. The 4-ch and 2-ch route would get you a dash remote and Bluetooth capability, which can be defeated. The mono amp leaves you room to change subs and run at lower impedance for higher power.

Look at JL audio or Fosgate's Constant Power amps...They can make ok power at higher impedances. If you don't mind buying used you should be able to find a decent deal. I picked up a Fosgate T1000-BDCP for 180 and it's rated at 700W @ 4 ohms. I've used it as my beater amp for at least 4 years now...If you're buying new....That gets a tad more difficult. Maybe look into Brazilian amps.

since u new to the d class amp just look at the s/n ratio., if u want clean power get a a/b and bridge or find d class that has 90 s/n or better or get a class a/b mono amp but like they said u have to get a big one they all made to run 2 or 1 ohm.. I had orion hp dvc wire 8 ohm bridged off crossfire vr600.2 for 6-7 yrs until last week (sold it) worked great that amp has 720 watts or so at 14.4 4 ohm so had 350 rms at least to sub u could do exact same thing, if u running 2 8 ohm subs just find 2 channel a/b with like 400rms bridged if they 12's or bigger if they 10's u really don't need that much power to them they just comps..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.