Low voltage reading

Participant count
  • Participant list

cfoote2424

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi I’m in need of help with my 2 month old system in my 2021 mustang. Its 1 taramps md1200.1 on a custom 12” sub on all stock electrical, 4 gau wire, and wavtech link2 loc. It’s been playing hard for about a month or 2, then randomly started going into protect mode and blinking twice (meaning low voltage). It now does it without even running the amp hard and the amp goes into protect and doesn’t turn back on. The voltage from my bass knob voltmeter that is plugged into my power and ground from the amp, reads 9-13v and constantly fluctuates, dropping very low when amp is barely working. The voltage reads 14v on the battery with voltmeter and car also reads 14v on drive screen. My question is can a blown amp cause false voltage reading and cause amp shut off, or is my power and ground wiring bad somewhere between battery and amp?

Check your voltage at the amp with a multimeter. To see if its fluctuating there.
My bass knob/voltmeter is plugged into the amps power and ground displaying the voltage. It’s usually around 11-12v with car off and car on it’s 10-12v, with amp barely outputting anything it’s displays 9-11v

Look at you fuse holder under the hood. Make sure you don't have any corrosion on the wires. And that the fuse is not damaged (melted, etc.)

Also, check your ground. Make sure you have a solid ground.
I checked ground and it was fine but I’m going to find a new ground spot and strip the metal coating off again. Checked power wire starting at battery, everything seemed fine no blown fuses or corrosion. The ring terminal on the positive end of battery is slightly touching the plastic of the actual battery that is fine right (it still has solid contact to positive post though)

I would still check voltage with a multimeter at the amp while playing music. If you are still get 14v but the amp is reading 10v, its either a ground issue or an amp issue.
The amp is only about a month and a half old but did run it couple too many times clipping and even saw the protect light flash a couple times I was hoping it wasent blown since it’s so new but leaning towards it being blown

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...