loud static/crackling noise.

Participant count
  • Participant list

cha0
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Whats up CA,

Im having a problem that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. About a Month ago I was picking my son up from school and a block from the house when a bunch of loud static started from the speakers. The head unit was off and I even pulled the face off but it continued to static loudly. We made it the block home and I turned the car off and it stopped. I started the car back up and it did not do it again. It has not happened again since today. Side note, It was sunny and dry that day.

So today, on the way to taking my son to school, It started again. Loud static and crackling coming from the speakers. HU off, Etc. It did it until I got home and shut the car off. Then I ran to the bank and it started again and again just now when I picked my son up from school. Side note, It has been rainy all day and is very wet outside.

Setup info:

95 Jeep Wrangler.

Big 3 in 0g.

Pio DEH-80PRS.

Sundown SAX-100.4

Kicker 6x9 in rear.

Kicker 6.5 up front.

-Power wire ran on right side of car.

-All other lines ran on left side of car.

-Amp Power wire ran in true 4g.

-Fused by battery.

-Amp grounded to welded bolt on car frame.

I checked all connections on amp and everything is tight.

What could this be?

Whats up CA,
Im having a problem that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. About a Month ago I was picking my son up from school and a block from the house when a bunch of loud static started from the speakers. The head unit was off and I even pulled the face off but it continued to static loudly. We made it the block home and I turned the car off and it stopped. I started the car back up and it did not do it again. It has not happened again since today. Side note, It was sunny and dry that day.

So today, on the way to taking my son to school, It started again. Loud static and crackling coming from the speakers. HU off, Etc. It did it until I got home and shut the car off. Then I ran to the bank and it started again and again just now when I picked my son up from school. Side note, It has been rainy all day and is very wet outside.

Setup info:

95 Jeep Wrangler.

Big 3 in 0g.

Pio DEH-80PRS.

Sundown SAX-100.4

Kicker 6x9 in rear.

Kicker 6.5 up front.

-Power wire ran on right side of car.

-All other lines ran on left side of car.

-Amp Power wire ran in true 4g.

-Fused by battery.

-Amp grounded to welded bolt on car frame.

I checked all connections on amp and everything is tight.

What could this be?
To get static in the speakers the amp must be on...Where is your amp remote wire tied in the deck or jeep acc wire ?

Hmm, its been about 18 months since I installed it and I honestly cant remember. Let me go see if i can see it without pulling the whole dash/HU out.

Remote wire is butt crimped to acc wire.
So amp is powering up when key is turned...Static could be a loose RCA or even a bad rca..sometimes a bad ground on the connectors especially if they are bent or in a bind...another option is a shot of tuner cleaner on the gain pots and work them back and fourth with power off returning to the original setting

If the problem does stem from the RCAs, im assuming that when im getting the static, if i were to wiggle and move the RCAs i would get some kind of

audible feedback with the static?

I used a new set of stinger RCAs so its not like they are cheap walmart RCAs but i realize anything is possible. I ran all the wires through wire loom and then screwed the wire loom down with loom clamps with all the seats out. Its going to be a nightmare if I have to mess with the wiring.

i will also try cleaning the pots like you mentioned.

Thanks Dave.

If the problem does stem from the RCAs, im assuming that when im getting the static, if i were to wiggle and move the RCAs i would get some kind of audible feedback with the static?

I used a new set of stinger RCAs so its not like they are cheap walmart RCAs but i realize anything is possible. I ran all the wires through wire loom and then screwed the wire loom down with loom clamps with all the seats out. Its going to be a nightmare if I have to mess with the wiring.

i will also try cleaning the pots like you mentioned.

Thanks Dave.
If static is in all 4 speakers ...It will be most likely in the amp....I cant really picture 4 rcas going out at once ....If noise is just in one speaker its most likely RCAs...being a 4 ch seems odd too because it will probably have seperate front and rear gain controls...so usually only 2chs would get noise if a tuning pot got dirty

Very good points i didnt think of. Static IS comming out of all 4 speakers so the odds that 4 stinger RCAs went bad all at the same time is pretty slim. Also, there are 2 gain knobs so again, the odds that both gain pots got dirty at once seems unlikley. Which brings us to the best logical explination, something with the amp.

Very good points i didnt think of. Static IS comming out of all 4 speakers so the odds that 4 stinger RCAs went bad all at the same time is pretty slim. Also, there are 2 gain knobs so again, the odds that both gain pots got dirty at once seems unlikley. Which brings us to the best logical explination, something with the amp.
Go over main ground with amp...over time the copper can get a film over it making it cause a weak ground...maybe try cutting the ends off if they look black or green and restrip ground and reinstall...thats just a thought since its 4chs ...I doubt your hot wire because that would put amp in protect....if ground is bad the amp may be trying to ground itself through the rca's...again make sure all power is off and fuse pulled to try and redo ground

Ill go over the ground tomorrow if it stops raining out.

Another thing thats in the back of my mind is, this amp was a factory authorized refurb. That may have something to do with it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.