Looking for a pair of 6.5" speakers...

Stripes
10+ year member

I want to get a nice pair of 6.5" speakers, but I don't even know where to start...

What Brand :

What RMS that sounds clear :

What RMS that gives good bass :

All of this I don't know. I would like to start with what brands to look into and what not to look into. My budget is $200.00 I can get stuff from $30.00 to $150.00 cheaper than stock price through online buying, from non manufacturer.

I am not looking to buy from someone here, but I want advice. Please let me know your opinion, ESPECIALLY if you have personally been in this situation and found out what to get...

Thanks

Coaxials or components?

Powered by head unit or external amplifier?

Are you going to need shallow mounts?

Those are some of the things you need to figure out before considering power handling, brand, etc...

I have four alpine type S sitting around, all yours $80 shipped

Comps, amp eventually, head unit for now. Will get amp AFTER I get the speakers, thus knowing the RMS etc to get for the amp. It's on an 1985 Dodge Ramcharger, door speakers, so I don't think they need to be too shallow..?

Basically, if you are going end up amping, you want RMS power handling >60 watts. For "bass", check out the low frequency response. But those specs tend to get twisted and are more helpful in comparing within a brand instead of between brands.

Alpine Type Rs have decent bass... I'd probably recommend those for your situation. Or MB Quart PVI 216's would work. On the upper end of your price range, Alpine type X or Boston Acoustics SR60s would be great

If you might not be getting an amp for a while, speakers with lower impedance would squeeze the most out of your head unit. A lot of people would recommend Infinity Kappas for that but I don't liek the way they sound. The JBL P660C at 2 ohms made by the same company but that might be better choice. Good luck with your install

So basically you're recommending Alpine overall...I definitely was gonna get over 60 RMS no matter what. I was thinking around 75 or so was my least, and I have only found a few 6.5" with more than like 80 RMS...what does type R offer to me over type X? I want clarity around 3/4 volume and bass with that, then clarity can go down after 3/4 volume. But up to that, I want it nice and clear...what type offers this?

Could you just recommend the speaker pair, and what RMS of amp to get for them? I will change brands likely on the amps since we have quite a few...but I can't argue with Alpine stuff...my head unit will be a CDA-105 by Alpine, I just didn't know to go with them or something like Polk or even HDT?

misfit - are those both 100 RMS or just the pair? Also ... why is it that you recommend them...do you have a pair?

mclerico - those all looked interesting except the top 2 or 3 for under $100.00 looked low end, and I don't recognize any of those brands until Cadence and CDT

misfit - are those both 100 RMS or just the pair? Also ... why is it that you recommend them...do you have a pair?
100 watts per side. I'm sure they can take much, much more if you know what you're doing. And no, I don't personally own the ID components. I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate T152S' and I'm currently putting together some CDT's (still need to buy a crossover). The reason I recommended the ID's is because many people on here have used them and most have positive things to say. They're constantly brought into the conversation when someone is looking for nice, budget friendly components.

For the record, Image Dynamics is a pretty highly regarded brand.

What would you guys consider better

CTX65CS - Image Dynamics

100 RMS

MM6501 - Polk Audio

125RMS

Both Comps, both I'm willing to pay their price...I heard that a paper cone is better than all others...but I don't know if this is true.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.