Let's talk texture...

awalbert88
10+ year member

Blame Canada
The stock CD player in my Buick is terrible - it skips constantly and lacks pre-outs, like most other OEM stuff. But it's 1 1/2 DIN, thus making it a pain to replace without it looking awkward. I want to build a new console/dash for my car with fiberglass, using a similar look to the existing one, but perhaps a bit more modernized. For reference, here is the stock dash:

buick_interior.jpg

And here is the dash of the 05 Acura TL:

024659-E.jpg

I have no intention of doing a massive remodel of the interior, but I do intend to put a basic LCD screen in the dash with the head unit underneath it, then the HVAC controls below that. Designing the mold for all of this will take awhile, and be quite a challenge, but it should be fun.

Now, getting to my question. Since this is going to be for the dash, I want a nice texture to the finish. I want it to have a smooth, but not glassy feel. Kind of like the trim used on high-end luxury cars. Perhaps even a faux-wood look/feel. How would I be able to (cheaply) go about doing this?

Depends on what finish you want to use. You could paint it, but that would have the "glassy" feel you didn't want. You could vinyl it, with a super thin layer of foam underneath. Then it would have a smooth, yet soft, yet solid feel to it.

lol, the new mazdas you cant replace the cdplayer without a HUGE remodel.

anywho... there was this really awesome site...

http://www.hzemall.com/main_page1.htm

they JUST started to re-do the site, tons of step-by-step installs, and it should teach you how to do it with NO PROBLEM. i would stick with a stock DIN unit, and mod that for your dash so the HU fits off the bat- then make a custom mount for the rest.

in the middle under "our products" is where he used to list all the stuff he uses, and he is re-doing it, and it say it will have it all up in a matter of weeks.

so look at all those installs, and keep your eyes open and get some ideas.

that guy is really good.

WTF is with the pink and purple gauges on the new TL ???
Hondas, more than ever, are chick cars ...
but thats an acura //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif

anyone with some useful comments? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.