rdlyn13000
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Here's what im working with,

99 Saturn SC1

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

12-zv3 in custom box

saz-1500

all other speakers stock, I want to upgrade my front doors so I can actually hear something besides bass! The opening is 6.5 or 6.75 and I currently have a JL 300/4 that I was thinking of bridging to give each door 150rms if needed. I listen to rap/rock/country sometimes. I want some very good sound quality and want it loud. Ive been looking at the Massive Audio RK6 comps or RX6 coax. Are these what I should go with or are there better options? Ive also been looking at the IA i65c. Also Im not sure where I would mount the tweeters or even how I would do it without doing something custom so Im wondering if I would be ok just going with the coax?

Please help me out as Im looking to get something very soon!! Thanks

I do not recommend buying Massive speakers..mine didnt even do 1/2 the rated rms power, and looked best at the bottom of my trash can!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mount the tweeters on the A pillar, don't even think about going coax for the fronts. And whats the budget. Make sure you sound dampen the **** out of your doors or else getting nice components will be a waste.

I do not recommend buying Massive speakers..mine didnt even do 1/2 the rated rms power, and looked best at the bottom of my trash can!! For componet set up for your vehicle,without having to worry about the tweeter location, Id recommend these,and you will need to but a seperate xover since they dont come with them,but I have these up front, and they are loud, and sound fantastic!!Shop CDT Audio - HD-6 100 BraxialSATNET 450 CDT AUDIO 2-WAY SPEAKERS CROSSOVERS PAIR SET | eBay
The speakers may have a small defect, like scratches, loose wire,but, they are more than !/2 the price of new and Kick ***!! The xovers on ebay sre the 4th, and 5th order that those components call for ,after doing alot of research, and reading up/matching,and work very nicely..They sound/Fantastic for the money spent..You will not have to mount the tweeters anywhere, as the brackets hold the tweeters,and are quite rigid!!I believe these are pretty much the same to the ones I posted up

BNIBhttp://www.woofersetc.com/p-9700-hd-63it-cdt-audio-hd-65-2-way-braxial-component-set.aspxhttp://www.woofersetc.com/p-9700-hd-63it-cdt-audio-hd-65-2-way-braxial-component-set.aspx

Hard to say since I don't know you, but typically when customers would say something similar to me in the shop and then ended up buying coax's because they were a bit cheaper - they were rarely ever happy. Go with a decent set of components, expect to deaden your doors at some point.

edit: you did mention budget

Check out the Image Dynamics CTX65cs', or CDT's in that price range.

These look ******!! But a little over my budget- I know I forgot to mention budget in op

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Hard to say since I don't know you, but typically when customers would say something similar to me in the shop and then ended up buying coax's because they were a bit cheaper - they were rarely ever happy. Go with a decent set of components, expect to deaden your doors at some point. I can't really recommend a certain pair because you haven't mentioned a budget but I've always liked CDT, Image Dynamics, Hertz, Rainbow, Focal, and HAT.
Around $200

I do not recommend buying Massive speakers..mine didnt even do 1/2 the rated rms power, and looked best at the bottom of my trash can!! For componet set up for your vehicle,without having to worry about the tweeter location, Id recommend these,and you will need to but a seperate xover since they dont come with them,but I have these up front, and they are loud, and sound fantastic!!
Wow I might scoop these up!! I do have 2 sets of MB Quart crossovers laying around. Im not sure if they are any good but I could try them I suppose as long as the wont hurt the speakers

Last edited by a moderator:
I would grab these up..and dont scimp out on the xovers,,that makes all the difference in the world..If you decide to use your existing xovers, I do recommend placing the xovers just under the dash/carpet, to have them accessable,and away from being inside the doors which can collect moisture and ruin them,that alot of people do..not a good idea..as well as to be able to easily swap out later..The $499 price are BNIB price compared to the Refurb/scratched /no boxed priced,just giving you the facts..$150 shipped ,and they my friend sound amazing on 150 watts rms!handle the power very well, and the distortion level is by far non existant!

I would grab these up..and dont scimp out on the xovers,,that makes all the difference in the world..If you decide to use your existing xovers, I do recommend placing the xovers just under the dash/carpet, to have them accessable,and away from being inside the doors which can collect moisture and ruin them,that alot of people do..not a good idea..as well as to be able to easily swap out later..The $499 price are BNIB price compared to the Refurb/scratched /no boxed priced,just giving you the facts..$150 shipped ,and they my friend sound amazing on 150 watts rms!handle the power very well, and the distortion level is by far non existant!
Right on, I think i'll pick them up today!!

I have an '01 Saturn SL2 and you will need an adapter ring to make most CDT Audio mids fit your doors. An oversized 1/2" deep ring can work, but the ones I ordered off eBay had to be sanded down on the inside to clear the baskets. I then drilled pilot holes for the mounting screws and sprayed them with a few coats of rubberized undercoating. You might want to consider picking up some plastic cutting boards from WalMart or Target to make your adapters.

Other things to be aware of on older Saturn doors:

• You need a good sound damping mat on the outer skin, the inner metal, and the inside door panel.
  • Depending on certain frequencies, your door handle rods and possibly the lock cylinder will vibrate. Wrapping some 1/8" CCF around them will take care of the rods. The deadener on the outer skin should take care of the lock cylinder, but it might require specific attention.
  • These doors will **** you off with strong midbass drivers, but I can show you pictures and techniques along with all the products I used to handle the vibrations.
  • Massive Audio RK mids are really big on both the mounting depth and the diameter of the magnets. Saturn S-series doors can take a deep speaker, but I can't guarantee the RK mids will fit behind the door panels with a baffle ring as a spacer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.