Klipsh Promedia 2.1 or DD PM-151 & ABC-10

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well you are in luck because they actually sell a good enclosure right on partsexpress that's made specifically for the Dayton HO. Dayton Audio 12" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet Package
Dayton Audio 10" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet Package

Do you have an old receiver laying around? Otherwise you need an amp or a subwoofer plate amp you can screw on the box.. You can buy this but it's a bit expensive..

Dayton Audio SPA500 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

or they have the 250w one if you can't afford the 500w one

Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

for the mids and highs.. look into bookshelf speakers that are within your budget.. there are plenty around..

Bookshelf Speakers in the Home Audio / Video Department at Parts Express | 99
Thanks, Another question though. I'm a gamer, I rarely use my speakers for gaming (mainly headset), Usually if it gets turned up it's either music or a movie. Should I get the 10" or go for like the 18" which it's freq res is from 20-500Hz. I'm not sure when it becomes overkill, considering this is going to be my computer/personal theater setup (I prefer watching movies on my 24" monitor rather than a big TV.) Plus the sound coming in from gaming can get hectic at times.

Thanks, Another question though. I'm a gamer, I rarely use my speakers for gaming (mainly headset), Usually if it gets turned up it's either music or a movie. Should I get the 10" or go for like the 18" which it's freq res is from 20-500Hz. I'm not sure when it becomes overkill, considering this is going to be my computer/personal theater setup (I prefer watching movies on my 24" monitor rather than a big TV.) Plus the sound coming in from gaming can get hectic at times.
Well I think an 18" for just a room is kinda overkill.. I'm all about overkill though lol.. but you're gonna need to ask yourself what your needs are. Do you have room for an 18? Do you wanna piss off your neighbors? Do you have an amp that can do about 1000w rms? A 10" can hit just as deep as an 18 but only if it's custom ported tuned low... kinda hard to do that with a sealed box. So I would suggest a 15". Because of more surface area, the 15 can hit low 20's no problem even when sealed. There's no way that a 15" is not enough bass for a room. You're gonna need some good power to back this up though.

Dayton Audio 15" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet Package

There is also the Dayton Ultimax that is known to hit those low lows. I'm sure even the 12" version sealed can hit down to the 20hz. I think the 15" would be just right though. It says on the specs that it can hit as low as 15 hz so it would be exceptional for moving playing. Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil

ultimax package - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

If you're gonna use a car amp at home, you have to get some converter of some sort, which might be alittle costly. Your car amp requires DC power and your home uses AC power. There are some tutorials online on how to do this cheaply though.

Car Amplifier and Subwoofer Powered By a Computer Power Supply

Honestly, it would be much easier if you found an old receiver laying around at home though.. If you don't have one and wanna save money, then be prepared to do a little work on your end.

I have car audio amps, although not sure if or how that would even work.
Not very worth it in my opinion, you want a power supply and a car battery inline for bigger amps. Generally looks messy even with a clean install job. Also has quite a bit of noise introduced with soo many things inline. Recievers cost like 50 to 100 bucks on craigslist and most have decent sound quality, much better processing than car head units to be honest, the internal amps have decent power to supply to several speakers too, you can easily get a 5.1 setup going on which will make movies and games sound unreal compared to before.

You good with woodworking? We can get you a nice ported box specs tuned to 25hz, should play down to 18s and 20s no problem.

Or if you want, here are some free designs with wood cutout sheets. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f40/official-free-ported-box-plans-56k-no-435910/

Choose the lowest tuned box (28hz will still play down to 20). Even if you dont have wood cutting tools, just buy the wood at home depot for 35 bucks a sheet, have the workers cut it up, take it home, glue caulk and screw, then have anyone you know with a jigsaw cut the hole. Measure up how much space you are willing to give up, choose the design that fits into that space requirements and then pick the appropriate sized sub that works in the enclosure specs.

sub choices are listed above along with the sub amps, cost of enclosure is very minimal.

Center channel

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-CCS-33B-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000I7U1OK

Front towers

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-t652-dual-6-1-2-2-way-tower-speaker-pair--300-653

rear surrounds

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

and a cheap decent reciever with all the options you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CplCuddles

Certified Meme Warrior
CplCuddles
Topeka, KS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from