Kicker RMB6 Midbass blew, any idea why?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Redford
10+ year member

I get angry when Im sober
I've had these speakers for almost half a year now and yesterday, they just blew. I don't know why. I'm pushing em with a 75w x 4 RMS amp and I didn't turn the volume any higher than I normally do (though it is pretty loud).

Has anyone else had experience with these?

Well on kicker webpage it says its suppose to handle "125" watts rms to each speaker which doesn't make since why they blew? You should still have a warrenty right?If so i would just take them from where you got them and exchange them for a new set.

Wish I could, I got em off ebay and anything by Kicker from an unauthorized dealer only has a 90 day warranty. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif My only guess as to what happened is that the voice coil could have partially seperated from the cone?

Well, you either exceeded the displacement limited power handling, or you were running the amp clipped. The first would cause physical damage to the suspension of the speaker and the second would toast the voicecoil and usually with less than rated power. Realize that rated power doesn't take the enclosure or lack thereof into account. It is merely the amount of power that a speaker can handle thermally. An enclosure is required to keep cone movement under control and prevent overstroking the speaker.

what are the crossover points? playing these drivers outside their recommended frequency range at high level can do some harm.

Didn't set a HPF as my amp can only do one of the other. I was thinking that I should have done both... probably should have set the HPF to 50 Hz or so.

Those drivers have some limitation due to its shallow mounting depth. They are not supposed to play sub frequencies.

Wow, sorry to bring back a semi-dead thread but I am a mfing idiot. I had the Pre-EQ on on my amp... its for bi-amping the Polk/MOMO components. So it set the front HPF to 4 kHz and gave it a 2 dB boost at 12.1 kHz, and that was running my Infinity Perfects. That would explain the extreme harshness of the tweeters. The rear HPF preset was 38.4 Hz and the LPF was 2.82 kHz.

Now, my new question is, could playing too high frequencies on my midbass driver caused it to blow? or do only too lower frequencies cause speakers to blow? (assuming the signal was not distorting)

I figure I don't need to set a crossover for the Infinity Perfects since they have a passive crossover already, but I don't know whether to set the HPF or LPF for the remaining (1) midbass driver. I don't want the driver to play below 50 Hz or above 200 Hz either but I can only set one, which would be more important to set?

Honestly the HPF will be the most important to protect the midbass. Set it somewhere in the vicinity of 80Hz. Put a HPF on your perfects, too. The crossover that comes with them only gives a low pass to the mids and a highpass to the tweets. Set this one around 100-150 Hz. You need to protect them from low frequencies even more than the midbasses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.