Kicker L7 12s in ext cab s10

Participant count
  • Participant list
My buddy is wanting me to design and build him a box for his 2 kicker L7s. My main question on these is slot or round port. And what cft would be best. And also tuning. I've not built a box for square subs, let alone 12s. Only 10s. He listens to basically rap only so I'm thinking a 35hz tuning is where it should be best right?

Now onto ports. What real advantage does a slot port do over round? I've not seen any true info and I've never built a slot port box, only round ports. All help is appreciated guys. This forum is great.

not much difference at all, its all mainly a means to achieve port area. As long as the design is efficient with little internal turbulence, it'll sound good either way. Make sure you give enough cubic feet after displacement to match the cone area of those square subs.

As jeff said, slot ports are an easy way to custom build to specific port areas, as there are only so many options with pipe sizes. But those subs will do fine with a couple of 4" PVC ports because xmax is, well, pitifully low for their cost.

I just did mine useing 2 sa12's . Now besides the sub difference i can tell ya that a 5cubic box was what i did and i still have 6" under the back window. Now after port, braceing and sub displacement im right at 4cubic feet. If i remember right my box was 46 wide 13.5 deep &17.5 tall i think. I know my port is 4" high by 12" wide &21" long giveing me 32 hz. I did both subs firing forward on the driver side and port firing up on passanger side. I know most put the port on the driver side but with the thrid door and my head right there i wanted it over on the other side. The box sounds great. My major problem is all the **** rattles. When i turn up the sub level to where im getting back window flex and roof flex it sounds like a can full of rocks in the cab with ya. Totaly ruins the sound. But i kinda knew that was gonna happen so im gonna dynamat the whole thing soon. Not sure what amp hes got but the pissy little battery up front wasnt gonna cut it for me so i put another one in the bed. Glad to see another s10 guy here. Good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.