Kicker Hideaway Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

StIgC11

So recently I had a Kenwood x597, and some Hertz Energy 5x7 speakers installed by a local shop. Everything was good speakers sounded great blah blah blah. Fast forward about a month later and now im installing a Kicker Hideaway. Everything goes smooth with the install no problems, turn the stero on and get everything adjusted correctly (gain / frequencies ect ect..) subs hitting good and hard with no distortion but now about a week after the install im having a problem with the sub hitting hard 1 min and then the next min it will hit soft like someone turned down the subwoofer controll on the HU. My question to you guys is what should my checklist be for diagnosing this problem?

Amp settings:

Gain - 4.5 out of 11

Frequency Xover - 120 MAX

Bass Boost - Off

Phase - 0

HU:

HPF - 100hz

LPF - 85hz

Subwoofer controll - 11 out of 15

The amp does not go into protect mode (90% sure), as for power I am not sure. It hits just a much softer hit.

turn the sub control down and reset your gain, might be worth checking/smelling your sub for a burning smell

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

lpf on the amp i'd have at 80 same as on the headunit, and hpf on the headunit on 80 aswell

did anythink get added or changed in the system b4 you noticed it happening? you said it was working fine for a while. also check that the earth connection on the amp hasn't rattled loose and stuff

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Im leaning towards a problem with the RCA's being I had to cut and splice them to make them work with the Hideaway unit.
whoa, prob worth trying that too lol

The sub is under my passenger seat so if it were burning I would most likely smell it (2002 tacoma xtra carb). As for the resetting the gain im not sure that will help example: lets say I have to volume at 25 before distortion and the sub is hitting good now when the sub stops hitting good I can turn it up to 29ish before it starts distorting then when the sub starts hitting good agian I have to turn it back down to 25. If I set the X over point on the HU and AMP the same arent I doubling the Dbls which isnt ideal? Im gonna check the ground tomorrow along with the RCA's. Is there anyway to check and make sure the RCA's are in good working condition?

could even be a loose connection in the hideaway sub box itself. doubt it but... check all your connections... tis weird that it works fine then stops all of a sudden.

The Kicker comes with straight wires out of the unit and it says to buy there adapter deal to go from speaker wire to RCA or what the shop in town said to do was just cut the ends off a RCA set and crimp them together with butt connectors (Soldering was recommended) but they said butt connectors will work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.