Kenwood vs Alpine….Or neither

ksstang

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, new member here and looking to upgrade my headunit in my 2014 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali. I currently have the factory unit, with Bose, nav, etc.

I’m looking to upgrade to a unit that has Apple CarPlay, the ability to use 2 rear cameras.

I’ve been looking at 2 different units. First the Kenwood DMX-957xr. It’s a exceleron reference unit. It comes with a price tag of $999.

The second unit I’m looking at is a Alpine ilx-407. This one is priced at $499, so half of what the Kenwood is.

I’m looking for suggestions on either one, anyone who’s using either one, etc. I’m also not opposed To other brands, these two are just what I’ve owned in the past.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say and recommend!

I wouldn’t buy a Pioneer as I have 2 and they both have issues. I love the display and functionality but they crash at random times especially when using CarPlay. That’s a huge price difference so I’d decide on what you want to spend first. If money is no object I’d do the kenwood as it has more functionality and wireless CarPlay.

I currently have a older Pioneer Double sun touchscreen in another truck of mine, and even it leaves a lot to be desired. I won’t buy another Pioneer product!

I'm reading this thread ATM looking for HU advice because my Pioneer is having issues with the RCA jacks.. so another vote to stay away from them.

Hopeful for some good advice in this thread. I've been looking at Eonon and Joying. I can't go with Eonon, which my best friend just put in his Avalanche and LOVES because they don't make the new ones for my 04 Silverado..

So OP, if you are looking for a newer Silverado check out Eonon, very cool looking units. Full support for car play and they are running full Android. So you can load any app that you could load on a phone or tablet, including OBD2 apps, Netflix, YouTube etc.

Well anyway I'll keep looking.

I’m having Bluetooth issues, connection issues, and I’ve come to think a channel issue with my Pioneer. Thought it was my comp set at first, got another set and same issue. One side goes in and out. Prob was not my amp either, I even changed that.

After owning a single pioneer HU, I'll never buy another. The PICO fuse is the devil's work and I always had funny little issues with it. I ran a cheaper alpine for a bit, then switched to a Kenwood eXcelon Kmm-x704, zero regrets.

Alot of guys over on DIYMA are running the joying units. I'm considering getting one, they look pretty nice and have tons of features.

Matt

My Pioneer single DIN I bought a year ago has been flawless. I wanted a Clarion but Covid hit stock bad when I was looking to buy.

A year or less ago most people said Pioneer was a solid choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...