Kenwood KFC-W2512 - mechanical injury, way to fix?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Djltoronto
10+ year member

I have 2 of these economy 10" subs, and one of them makes a distinct "sound" when being played near it's limits.

The 2 subs are in dedicated sealed chambers, 0.78 cu.ft each, running parallel of a mono amplifier, and when near it's mechanical limit, very clearly, one of them makes a difficult to describe sound, almost sounds like an amplifier clipping or like a mild bottoming out of the VC against the magnet - but that's not the case.

I pulled the sub out of the box and noticed that the spider is essentially defective and has a "soft spot" near the VC.. (if a picture is worth a 1000 words, hopefully this video will explain what I am trying to describe).

As I press on the cone lightly with gradually increasing force, there is a point where the suspension just falls a few MM's (as the spider essentially folds - see vid). I am virtually positive this is causing the abnormal sound when played at high levels.

Is this fixable? or simply not worth it cause it's a cheapy sub?

Dragon Spider DesignKenwood's Dragon spider design helps improve the speaker's mechanical stability, for better power handling with less wear and tear. LOL yeah right!

Click for video: See second Roll/fold on spider from the voice coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.