Kenwood KDC-x996 sometimes won't turn on

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a Kenwood KDC-x996. Sometimes, the head unit will not turn on. When this happens, I press the power/source button, the red triangular light will turn on for maybe 5 seconds and then turn off. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect the battery, which also means I need to set up all of my crossover settings again. It's happened twice. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem has appeared after switched power to the head unit was turned off while it was still booting up. For example, the key may have been in the "ON" position, allowing the head unit to start booting. Then, when I started the car, the switched power turned off, turning the head unit off. The head unit wouldn't turn on after the car was started. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Thanks in advance for any information.

try press and hold the tiny reset button on the face... this should reset the unit

might even be behind the face plate... read the manuel for the headunit

I have a Kenwood KDC-x996. Sometimes, the head unit will not turn on. When this happens, I press the power/source button, the red triangular light will turn on for maybe 5 seconds and then turn off. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect the battery, which also means I need to set up all of my crossover settings again. It's happened twice. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem has appeared after switched power to the head unit was turned off while it was still booting up. For example, the key may have been in the "ON" position, allowing the head unit to start booting. Then, when I started the car, the switched power turned off, turning the head unit off. The head unit wouldn't turn on after the car was started. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Thanks in advance for any information.
Had problems with mine when i first got it.Still have to reset it once in a while.There's a reset button behind the face plate on the left hand side.Unfortunately it's pretty common with this hu.It's still my fave of all time though.Good luck

Had problems with mine when i first got it.Still have to reset it once in a while.There's a reset button behind the face plate on the left hand side.Unfortunately it's pretty common with this hu.It's still my fave of all time though.Good luck
I had forgotten about the reset button behind the head unit. It's in a DeLorean, so the battery is behind the passenger seat with a cutoff switch. It's just as easy to disconnect the battery as it is to hit the reset switch. I'll remember the reset button though if it happens again.

Your comment about it being fairly common is both comforting and discomforting. It's good to know that it's not anything serious, but bad that it's a common issue. I love the head unit though. I bought the x996 because I figured I would need the 13 bands of EQ with the DeLorean interior (speaker placement isn't great), but I've ended up just using a preset. However, for my other car and my girlfriend's car, neither of which need a 13 band EQ, I have the BT952HD: the non-excelon version of this unit. They're great, and it's disappointing that they were all discontinued. The closest thing they have to it is the KIV-BT901, but I'd rather have the BT952HD, even if the KIV does have a great looking screen.

I had forgotten about the reset button behind the head unit. It's in a DeLorean, so the battery is behind the passenger seat with a cutoff switch. It's just as easy to disconnect the battery as it is to hit the reset switch. I'll remember the reset button though if it happens again.
Your comment about it being fairly common is both comforting and discomforting. It's good to know that it's not anything serious, but bad that it's a common issue. I love the head unit though. I bought the x996 because I figured I would need the 13 bands of EQ with the DeLorean interior (speaker placement isn't great), but I've ended up just using a preset. However, for my other car and my girlfriend's car, neither of which need a 13 band EQ, I have the BT952HD: the non-excelon version of this unit. They're great, and it's disappointing that they were all discontinued. The closest thing they have to it is the KIV-BT901, but I'd rather have the BT952HD, even if the KIV does have a great looking screen.
DeLorean's are cool.Yeah the 13 bands are nice.Hit 88 mph and you'll get 15 bands //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/driving.gif.c4dead4599dda895032b63e51f52b126.gif Yeah it stinks they discontinued em but iirc it was because ppl had alot of probs with them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.