Kenwood KDC-X996 or Clarion CZ702?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ledvedder
10+ year member

NJ
OK, I will be purchasing my HU tomorrow, but I'm still flip-flopping between these 2 models. I have to stay under $200, but I can get the Kenwood for that price. Please talk me into which HU I should go with.

I love my 996... but the interface is rather annoying. There is no back button so you have to keep hitting menu unless you use the remote control. The bluetooth is pretty cool.. But it doesn't store your contact information so all it says is "downloading" when your phone connects until it finishes... which is annoying as ****. the bluetooth pandora is pretty neat also. It appears that it has active capabilities.. but they are rather lacking... going from a Pioneer 880prs the active capabilities are slim to none.

Despite all that I love my headunit especially if you can get it at that price.

I'm not looking to add anything like amps or subs to it. I just have my regular six speaker setup in the van.

i like the features of my 996 but i'm not to impressed with build quality, but maybe i just got a lemon.

1)It quits putting out sound periodically, everything looks as its working properly but no sound. you have to take hu out of dash and unplug for 30 sec or so to reset then it works fine.

2) the glare.

3) thought i had a ground loop for a long time and after endless running of different ground wires and diddling with everything i find out my front rca output is the culprit. so for now im running everything of rear rca's.

i like the features of my 996 but i'm not to impressed with build quality, but maybe i just got a lemon.1)It quits putting out sound periodically, everything looks as its working properly but no sound. you have to take hu out of dash and unplug for 30 sec or so to reset then it works fine.

2) the glare.

3) thought i had a ground loop for a long time and after endless running of different ground wires and diddling with everything i find out my front rca output is the culprit. so for now im running everything of rear rca's.

Yep #1 it does it to me too, if you hit the reset behind the face it'll fix it.

#2 Agreed I forgot about that part, the glare *****.

The glare ***** on the 996, and I don't believe it has any active capabilities. It does have T/A though so that's nice. This guy isn't looking to add any amps or subs though, so I'd think either deck would work fine. Whichever features and prices appeal most to you, go ahead and get it. They'll both work good.

there is a crossover on the front and rear channels,in the pro mode iirc. but i dont think there is a crossover for the sub. i could be wrong though. but yes if he's not using an amp it wouldn't matter anyway.

I ended up going with the Clarion. I like it so far. I'm just confused with some of the features, like time alignment and all the advanced eq stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.