Kenwood Display Problem

G-Wiz
10+ year member

Michigan
I was driving home today and my display on my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X859 was working fine, I turn off the car, go in the house, let the dog out, get back in the car 10 minutes later and there is no display but everything still works like normal.

THe display is now just 6 faint red horizontal lines that run across the face. Anyone know what might be wrong? I got this HU around Fall 2002..

It showed no signs of going out or failing on me. PLease, any help is appreciated, I am going to try and take it to a dealer, but want to fix it myself if possible.. I havn't checked the wiring yet, it went out around 10:00 pm so I didn't feel like messing with it.

G-Wiz,

Must be a timed thing in the unit.. Also bought mine in Fall 02 and no signs of going out until last night.... I've got the same thing, works fine but no display, just 6 horizontal lines....

Have you gotten the problem fixed yet?

Ripper

I was driving home today and my display on my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X859 was working fine, I turn off the car, go in the house, let the dog out, get back in the car 10 minutes later and there is no display but everything still works like normal.
THe display is now just 6 faint red horizontal lines that run across the face. Anyone know what might be wrong? I got this HU around Fall 2002..

It showed no signs of going out or failing on me. PLease, any help is appreciated, I am going to try and take it to a dealer, but want to fix it myself if possible.. I havn't checked the wiring yet, it went out around 10:00 pm so I didn't feel like messing with it.

I had this problem in my kenwood h/u to. Working fine, get out, come back in a few mins and it would just light up a solid blue and nothing would come up. It would flip open and everything.

Nah, I havn't gotten it fixed yet.. Did finally get a response from Kenwood, after 2 and a half weeks..... They said hit the reset button, duh..... then take it to an authorized repair center/dealer and have the problem assessed and fixed then ship it to the mailing address they gave me... I thought that was kind of funny, why the hell would I get it fixed and then ship it out?? But that is what the e-mail said.. It is on my other computer or else I would copy and paste it...

My kenwood's display also went down last week, but it still works. My friend had the same case in few months ago. This is a common bug for every kenwood HU, expecial for those moveable face plate. The connector cable may be damaged. There is no workaround.

Pisser, I recently bought a new Kenwood KDC-X850 from Ebay for $230.00 bucks. I thought it was a good price but after hearing all the problems I might just sell it on Ebay as new seeing I haven't installed it yet..

I had a Pioneer HU crap out on me this way, several friends had the same issue w/ their Pioneers, this could be the same. There is a little ribbon that goes from the DIsplay part to the Main unit, and from going up and down so much it wears out and does not make contact. Replacing the ribbon is usually the problem. Can be done.

You would have to find out the part number for it, then look for a electronic shop (easier online) that could send it to you, but this requires you to take apart your HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.