kenwood 1000w fixable?

playyamxz550
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Memphis
so my kenwood 1000w peak amp shitted after my freind hooked it up with the fuse in, no fuse on his wire,battrie hooked up and it sparked and hasnt turned on since........it has a 40 fuse all i had was a 30 fuse and it still didnt turn on is it done?

By sparked, do you mean he shorted the power to the ground??

And as far as being fixable, anything is fixable. The question should be, is it worth it or not.

he touch the power wire to the back of the amp and it sparked
Well in that case, the amp is most likely done.

You NEVER, NEVER hook an amp up with the fuse installed in the power wire, let alone not having one in the first place.

Yes, the amp can be fixed but it may not be worth it as you can likely find another one for the same cost to repair?

And last, do not let this friend of yours install anymore of your gear.

I have repaired several kenwoods with this same issue after somebody shorted the power wire to the heatsink. In all of the ones that I have worked on there is a very small ground trace on the underside of the circuit board that burned open. Its almost like kenwood designed it as some sort of fuse. A little tinned desoldering braid laid over the blown trace and they usually fire right back up. Not saying this is for sure the issue with yours but I have seen it at least 5 times in various generations of kenwood amplifiers. I'd be willing to look at it for you if you don't think you are up to the task.

where are you located cause i dont no if it would be worth shipping if it doesnt work and do you have pictures to work cause i no someone that can fix amps but if we can predignoise the problem i think it would be alot easier to fix, or can i post pics to help you tell me what the problem is

I am located in Charlotte,Michigan. If you can get the amp disassembled and flip it over to see the solder side of the circuit board it shouldn't take too long to find the problem if it is the same thing I have ran into. If you could get me some good pics I could take a look at it for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.