Jvc Kd-r900

anibal
10+ year member

Don't see much info about it from users. Quite frankly it is an impressive unit if you need Bluetooth and Ipod capabilities built in.

I wrote a mini review on the appearance and what is not mentioned anywhere about it. more to come when it is installed.

It will be a project between my daughter and I.

Here is my review thread which will be updated after install.

doesnt look like theres anything new in this unit.

i mean its a new model but i dont think it offers something extraordinary compared to other brands.

now if it supported flac or apple lossless buit in that would be awesome

doesnt look like theres anything new in this unit.i mean its a new model but i dont think it offers something extraordinary compared to other brands.

now if it supported flac or apple lossless buit in that would be awesome
what it does offer is built in BT, dual USB. front Aux input, built in ipod controls both from the HU or the Ipod/Itouch itself, gold plated 5V preouts, TI/Burr-Brown 24-bit DAC, 30k Variable-Color Illumination all for $173 shipped.

oh ok then. u didnt specify:)

well the big names like burr/brown,and 5v preouts dont necessarily guarantee qood quality

this is an old number game in computer world more megapixels! more cpu speed! more memory!

but an acer PC of same specs is not comparable to a dell or alienware or sustom built PC for exmple.

so all that good junk in one unit for 173 dollars sounds to me like a marketing trick.

unless

jvs is planning to use this model to lure some drive the customers to their brand

by giving a badass unit for and extremely low retail price.

oh ok then. u didnt specify:)
well the big names like burr/brown,and 5v preouts dont necessarily guarantee qood quality

this is an old number game in computer world more megapixels! more cpu speed! more memory!

but an acer PC of same specs is not comparable to a dell or alienware or sustom built PC for exmple.

so all that good junk in one unit for 173 dollars sounds to me like a marketing trick.

unless

jvs is planning to use this model to lure some drive the customers to their brand

by giving a badass unit for and extremely low retail price.

This units retail price is $269, some places have it for $249. I bought mine on ebay with cashback. I got instant cashback.

I have owned several Excelon and premier units, 1 JVC unit, 2 Eclipse units and only 1 alpine. My last excelon was KDC-X991 which was my last Head unit.

I decided to get the JVC to try it out. I will see how it holds up to my other $400+ units.

I'm not new to Car audio by any means.

and not having anyone post their personal experiences with the unit will always bring up skeptics as yourself in threads.

I have never had problems with my JVC, Alpine or Excelon units, one of my pioneer premiers went bad and a eclipse cd player stopped working.

Personally I want sounds for myself, not trying to break records, going active or trying to impress a friend or my neighbors.

so do i.

i dont really like the sound of JVC , or the design(i dont have a chrome dash in my car)

i do know that they are pretty reliable units and rarely see people come back with issues related to a stereo.

but it still doesnt sound natural to me.

and also

this unit doesnt have a "built in" bluetooth or technically neither it has dual USB

because it comes with a bluetooth dongle that plugs into one of the usb ports //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so you can have one or the other.

you plug it in the back you only have one usb port

you plug it in the front you still got one usb port but you cant use the front one enymore.

so do i.i dont really like the sound of JVC , or the design(i dont have a chrome dash in my car)

i do know that they are pretty reliable units and rarely see people come back with issues related to a stereo.

but it still doesnt sound natural to me.

and also

this unit doesnt have a "built in" bluetooth or technically neither it has dual USB

because it comes with a bluetooth dongle that plugs into one of the usb ports //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so you can have one or the other.

you plug it in the back you only have one usb port

you plug it in the front you still got one usb port but you cant use the front one enymore.
Reliability is a positive if this unit does last. If it is anything like my other JVC HU then it should be as reliable. I will see how it sounds compared to that one as I know how it sounded to me.

Have you heard any of the new units? or even the KD-R900? I have and it sounded pretty good to my ears. back to back comparison will tell me if JVC has moved ahead from its older predecessors.

And about the Bluetooth, I will not always be using it all the time so I will have the option to listening to either USB source using my flash drives/Itouch. When I need it, it just plugs right in (the dongle).

We can sit here a pick apart any units flaws or positives. But I am posting this thread for those who are really interested in this Head Unit.

If, I don't like how it sounds, well it only cost me $173 shipped and it will sell fast if I decide to sell it.

I was looking at many Head Units, from all brands. One thing that gets me is the Head Unit not matching my interior lighting (dash color). Most stereos now have some form of color palette but not many do have all possible dash colors.

I almost bought an eclipse again but i remember the bad customer service and issues I had. I would have gotten a Premier but again I remember my issues with them, although my buddy has had great luck with his deh-p800bt. The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 was on my list and after playing with it I didn't like it, screen was brighter on the left side and it reminded me of a juke box. The clarion 785USB was also on my list, but the **** screen was too shiny during the day in the car i demo'd it in. Couldn't see much.

Then there was the higher end units all which reminded me of somethings, I like horsepower and I don't live in my car.

Summary,

My car is not a daily driver, sees about 150 miles per week tops, it is a 2 seater and I am not going for any sound competitions. It needs a new Head Unit and I chose the JVC KD-R900. It fits what I was looking for, I can still modify my car further and still feed my 16yr old teenager due to my savings. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

well your troubles might have been with any other unit

as with any electronics thares at least 5% chance of it beeing faulty

and that % increases with cheapness of brand

but i do have jvc in the store and i listened to them in the cars

they in fact improved on the design and so did kenwood.

but like i said it doesnt sound the way i want it .

JVC and kenwood are actually same company now

the JVC president is the president of kenwood as well and kenwood chairman is chairman of both according to their webpage.

did you get this installed? I would like to see pics with it powered up
I will take pics when I get home tonight, 6Pm eastern time.

I love this Head Unit. The internal amp does have some nice clean sound. As claimed, does sound like it does put the rated power.

I like the lighting with many possibilities. If hooked up to the illumination you can have it flip to a negative display and vice versa. Or you can keep it either negative or regular.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.