just a curious question.

Originally posted by xplicit why do people get pipes(glasspipes).. that are loud as hell? i mean.... are they lookin for sound just like us people in car audio are? i dont see no point in it personally, was just a little curious? heh

glass pipes? why am i confused about what ur talking about?

yea...glass packs....not really sure...some people like to have their trucks/cars sound really loud...where as others like thier cars to sound like weed eaters(ricers)....personal pref. man

Originally posted by Goddyd4me yea...glass packs....not really sure...some people like to have their trucks/cars sound really loud...where as others like thier cars to sound like weed eaters(ricers)....personal pref. man
now I'm baffled...

what are glass packs?

I dunno - most of the guys running with the "pissed off beehive" exhaust are not running "glasspacks" - most of the time, those are installed on big burbly v8's. Most of the "rice" is straight-through mufflers and crap.

I hear it far too often. I remember, I had a car that sounded like that one time. Until I went to Midas and got that sh!t FIXED.

It's annoying as hell.

~HH

the idea with glass packs and straight pipes is that if you have a muffler without baffles n stuff you reduce back pressure, you want to reduce back pressure because your engine can use less power pushing exaust through a complex maze of baffles and use the saved power somewhere else...its a little louder but most people concider that a plus, except for improperly tuned ricer pipes that many people dont like, i say who really gives a **** as long as the driver is happy.

Reducing backpressure is what it is all about. But you should have some backpressure. And smooth exhaust flow is what is really most important.

While unrestricting the exhaust flow does make more power, it also generally raises the powerband - same thing with an intake tube. With an exhaust that flows too freely, there is lots of turbulence in the flow at lower revs, which usually decreases low end power. But once the engine gets revving, power does increase. A very free-flowing exhaust usually causes the max power to be high in the rev range, and adding backpressure to that lowers the powerband.

SuperTrapp makes a very cool system that can be tuned for best performance. There is no muffler, but instead, the exhaust tip itself has removeable plates inside. Adding more plates increases backpressure, which increases low-end power, while removing plates frees up the flow, creating more power at high revs. You may have seen this exhaust on older muscle cars & motorcycles - it's a popular upgrade that people do to them:

http://www.supertrappind.com

i think glass packs are stupid.i don't believe there are any benefits from them. i put a flowmaster on my truck for performance reasons, and it does make it a good deal louder but its not an annoying sound. just gives the truck a deeper tone. it raised torque in all rpm ranges but the most noticeable is in the upper bands, especially when passing someone and it drops down into 4th //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif . anyway, i am with you when you say you see no reason for glasspacks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.