JL W3's, or W6's??

Big-Cat
10+ year member

Jupiter, FL
i was looking at the stats for the W3's, and the W6's, and it says that the W3's hit 87.1db, and the W6's hit 86.9db. I know that a db is a measurement for something that's loud. I want my system to be heard from far away, and i don't know much about this. So what's better? should i get w3's or w6's?

DB means.. decibel.. it's how sound is measured.. so basically it's saying the intensity and loudness of the w3's are better than the w6's..I have heard mixed reviews on these subs.. 1/2 the people say go with the w3's they sound alot better.. some say.. w6's just kick ass. i say.. either will do just fine.. if you got a lower budget might as well go with the w3's.. i have heard 2 10" w6's and they are tight as hell.. and if that don't work for ya.. why don't you just get some new JL W7's.. sure to rock out with your **** out~ Peace

The db rating on the inside of the manual isn't how loud it goes, it's the sensitivity of the sub. The higher the sensitivty the better, because a sub with higher sensitivity will take less power to move more air, but the higher the sensitivity usually the power handling is lower. So really if the sensitivity is close to the same go with power handling specs.

Keep in mind that the sensitivity rating is also measured at only 1 watt. The W6 is the better sub. But factoring in price, i'd say the W3 is just about as good. Regardless JL makes good subs, so it's a win-win situation. If your looking for SPL, the W6 will most likely beat out the W3, but the W3 probably has a little better SQ.

12w3-d6

Specifications:

Depth: 6.5625 inches

Installation Diameter: 12.25 inches

RMS Power: 250 Watts

Sensitivity: 87.1dB / W / m

Size: 12 inches

Type: Dual Voice Coil 6 Ohm

12w6

Specifications:

Depth: 5.625 inches

Installation Diameter: 12.25 inches

RMS Power: 300 Watts

Sensitivity: 86.9dB / W / m

Size: 12 inches

Type: Dual Voice Coil 6 Ohm

Umm...another thing. I want to get a 500/1 jl amp. What's the 1 for, and does it matter which type of sub i get, whether it had like 8 ohms - 2 ohms?

just like the post subject informs, The W3 has the new patented VRC cooling technology, if you look at JLs reviews or description of the two, they refer to the w6 as capable of "tremendous excursion capabilities" while the w3"Insane excursion capabilities" why don't you be the judge.

But keep in mind that both subz offer Exceptional SQ, the w6 is just slightly more accurate, while the w3 hits a lot harder and deeper.

hope that helps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Big-Cat

10+ year member
Big-Cat
Jupiter, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from