JL Audio 13W7 Review.

Chatham540i
10+ year member

///M Power
Florida
Hey guys, I decided to do a single subwoofer setup in my 5 Series BMW.

When looking for subs I wanted something that can take atleast 1k plus rms daily while still be loud and clear. After seeing all the over hyped reviews and different opinions on this site.

I decided to go ahead and listen to one myself first hand. I made my way to a local audio shop to hear a 12" in a ported enclosure. I did not know the specs of the enclosure. It was muddy and had a lot of port noise at higher volumes in the demo room.

Fast fowarding to a few days ago. I bought one off E-Bay and got started on building a ported enclosure to JL's ported specs of:

2.375 cu. ft @ 34.59Hz

I had a helping hand getting the box carperted and the sub arrived the next day.

I quickly un-packed it and got it all screwed in and in the trunk of my car. Anxiously grabbed the 1000/1V2 from my bedroom closet and started wiring everything all up.

Listening - I started with The O'Jay's Backstabbers at about half volume, the sound filling the cabin was hard hitting but not overwhelming and boomy. Just smooth and enough for you to feel it. I was very pleased with this song.

Next I played Cutty Buddy by Mike Jones, I was sitting in my drivers seat VERY impressed. I'm not saying this is the best woofer or trying to hang off of JL Audio's wang. There are a lot of great companies out there, it's all preference.

I continued to play all genre's of music from old school to rap all the way to country and classical. It took everything I threw at it and gave back output in a very pleasing sound to the ear, at all volumes.

I do have a dynamat trunk kit, but I still do have one annoying rattle somewhere behind my rear bumper. Other than that the car is pretty solid while this woofer is in operation.

Also I drove to a large warehouse facility with my neighbor too see if I could hear it far away with my car all sealed up. He dropped me off at the back and went around to pull through the entrance again.

Faintly - I hear the sound fillling my ears, I'm not sure how far he was away but I would estimate it as 3 blocks maybe? As he got closer it was very boomy on the outside while he was close to me. I don't like that. This is a wakeup call for me to start more deadening to get my vehicle more solid or as much as possible.

Overall. I love the sub but I would not pay the retail of $1,099.00 for it.

I give it a 8.5/10

I'm not a big review guru by any means but thank you for reading and I'll answer questions the best I can. Remember this is all just my own opinion.

JL Its just in 12w6v2s SPL. I have two and are sub audiophile. 13w7 and the book sounds good, but theres no real distortion sure to get all the way this with any amp or CPU. A further decrease in this speaker 32Hz is great after no way out.

He would need a new amp for that 9510, 3512 might be alright, I'm with you on that thinking tho. If I had it all to do over again I think a 9515 or a couple 9512's if I had the room... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

And then again I would need a new amp lol (for the 12's at least)

I shouldn't have said they are decent. They sound receptively adequate for being mainstream style woofers. Though the process of being JL's woofers is not the greatest, meaning that they lack the time and quality, ( yes they sound good and look great), but that true hand built, individually tested and matched correctly type speakers that Digital Designs offer is true to the source. JL items in general are made/ or have been made in different areas, meaning the magnet here , and the surround here, the spiders there, and the cone here. I honestly shouldn't keep on rambling on MY opinion, because everyone is different and everyone likes their own brand and whatnot. Though Digital Designs has a lot to offer and their tech support is unmatched. Best customer support in DD in contrary to ANY AUDIO COMPANY IN THE WORLD. And that is a big statement my friends.

In conclusion JL subs are good for the average ear. But for true audiophiles they may have to give either Pete Kulicki a call to get a proper enclosure that will deliver more than there specific needs on any speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Chatham540i

10+ year member
///M Power
Chatham540i
Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies