Jl and efficiency

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
So I'm a little confused after reading the following on one of jl audio subwoofer manual:

"Efficiency (1W/1m) is not an accurate indicator of a subwoofer’s output capability and should not be used as a comparison to other subwoofers to determine which one is “louder” !"

This pretty much goes against everything I've been told and learned about buying speakers. I do know there are other components to loud, however, ive always been told this is the main one. Any insight and input please.

I believe if a sub is efficient, it can use less power and still have good output. Where as subs that are on the other spectrum require higher power per their recommended specs to perform well. In the main sense tho its not the defining "loudness" factor that im aware of.

basically if a sub is effecent, it has a high motor force, and low MMS. This leads to a high FS low Q driver. This makes the driver less suited for low end output, especially in a sealed box. Basically less effecient drivers have less output in the upper bass/watt, but they roll off slower as you drop in frequency. Higher effeciency drivers start louder at say, 100hz, but by 30hz will be less effecient. Usually you want a compromise between the 2 and ultimately, most SPL is about having high, XMAX, BL, and powerhandling. A good mix of those 3 is usually best for daily listening SPL.

I think that's the best explanation I've read or gotten on the subject. Thanks. Unfortunately I rarely see the bl rating of a sub. Is a high motor force good, and what is mms?

1/ Since the high efficiency subs roll off more at lower freq, can't I just bump that lower freq up with eq to compensate or will that be bad for the driver or something?

I think that's the best explanation I've read or gotten on the subject. Thanks. Unfortunately I rarely see the bl rating of a sub. Is a high motor force good, and what is mms?1/ Since the high efficiency subs roll off more at lower freq, can't I just bump that lower freq up with eq to compensate or will that be bad for the driver or something?
High motor force is generally good, but too much of anything is bad. Higher motor force subs generally lend themselves to ported alignments, lower BL sealed. MMS is the moving mass of the speaker, so how heavy the moving parts are.

Anyway, here is another good reference on this http://stereointegrity.com/docs/Efficiency.pdf

So I'm a little confused after reading the following on one of jl audio subwoofer manual:
"Efficiency (1W/1m) is not an accurate indicator of a subwoofer’s output capability and should not be used as a comparison to other subwoofers to determine which one is “louder” !"
Their point is that efficiency doesn't give info on the maximum output a sub can achieve. Which is correct...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.