JL 500/5 amp 2cutting in and out please help! :crying:

NewBee

Usa
jl audio amp 500/5 cutting out

I have a JL Audio 500/5 amo with a 1.5 farid cap 2 JL 10 dvc with a sealed box avic n3 tricked out head unit alnog with all MB quarts befor they switched to junk stuff now.... thaks what i heard dont hold me to it.... all the speakers and subs are being powered by that amp some times the amp tends to cut out..... then it wiil come back to full power... i also have a 4 guage wire with 50 amp glass fuese runnig it all.... what is your guys honest answer? it only does it f i am pushing the system is this normal? or do i need a better cap .... when i an looking at my battiery running it shows 13.5 volts i look back at the cap it only reads like 12 to 11 when the system is bumbin?

That sounds to me like you may be driving the amp to an impedance it can't handle. e.g. the sum of the speaker impedance = 1 ohm, and amp is only stable to 4 ohms...that would cause the amp to heat up quickly and cutout intermittently.

You are overheating your amp.

1. It is not getting enough airflow.

2. You are turning it up too loud (this would include incorrect gain settings)

3. The subs are wired incorrectly.

4. You are expecting more out of a multichannel amp than is normal.

My personal remedy for overheating amps is to buy more amp than I need and turn the gains down. Of course, I would never own a 5 channel amp either, so take it for what it's worth.

sub channel stable at 1.5..mine plays fine all day ..but like he said..possible incorrect gain settings and your probally expecting too much out of it..

I have some older jl audio subs 10w3v2 Mb quarts all discus series the frount doors are seperate mids and tweters, the rear door and rear deck lid are three ways i can get the exact modle number, i know that at least one set is ran in paralell i am asuming the rear ones are i did not wire them in but i do understand some things and i know that the subs are wired right because i took them out of the box tonight and mesured the ohms to make sure that they are not blown... the system sounds awesome ........ intell it cuts out intermediatly.... i was wondering if it is because it needs to be re mounted in a more open space it is mounted on the back of the box and it is close th the rear seats I am wondering if it needs more air flow over the unit? I do push the amp pretty hard i know that the subs i have can handle 300 watts a piece rms i am not sure about the other MB Quarts components? does any one know off the top of their heads? I was also wondering if i needed a bigger Cap? Let me know Thanks in advance for your input>>>>

what ohm are the subs at...you said wired right but series, parall
VOICE COILS IN SERIES

Also what other amps would be a good one to repalce this five channel one because i know that my componets can handle more power. i just want to keep it all nice stuff because of resale value. I was also reading on the speakers that i can see on the mb quarts stuff it says 30-90 watts power handling.... so does that mean rms or what? and the subs are dual 2 ohm voice coils.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.