JL 18w6 problems plz help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

RUDEF2
10+ year member

hi, i dunno what the problems is w/ my sub but maybe someone does. Currently i am running a RF 1000a2 bridged @ 2ohms i have the DVC sub wired in paralell. I was knocking it pretty hard today and all of a sudden it just like, locked up i checked my amp it was warm, but has never cut off on me! so i pulled over and looked at my sub and it was stiff, i came home and took it out of the box and let it cool, its in my room now, i am going to hook it up tomorrow to see if it still works, but i have had this problem for awhile, it works, then stops working, is it a cooling problem? it is in a sealed box and it does feel warm inside the box. If anyone has some suggestiong i would appreciate it especially from someone experienced. thanks!

you have melted the Voice coil on your sub which would cause it to lock....but you say it has happened before....and worked again, unless your amp has just shut down before, but if your sub is all stiff then it is from the voice coil melting....Does it smell funny in your box and on the sub???

Yea alot of times what happens is the spider down by the voice coil will break and this will casue the voice coil to not move the supion becoming stiff or yea you could of melted the voice coil but for it to be stiff it would have to cool and melt to the magnet structure so that is not lilkly.

well, i can't tell if it smells funny in the box or on my sub or not because i have undercoating in my box so it smells funny anyway. if the spider is locking up- how do you fix that? i took it out and put it in my car a few minutes ago and hooked it up but it is still not playing. the cone moves up and down, but when i push it so far, it makes a scratchy noise but not too bad like it was one time. is there anyway to fix it? it was a very Xpensive sub.

if you fried the voice coil, you would have smelt it in the car..

I've fried my fair share of subs, and they always smell.. they like stunk up my Jeep for a day or 2.

Take the sub to a JL dealer, and see what is up.

Edit:

If it is makin scratchy noises then you most likely fired the coil.. I blew up a 10" and it made those noises when i pushed in the cone. I take it that the cone doesn't go in very smooth, it kinda seems to catch on something, or has stiff spots in the travel... that means, in my experiences, that the speaker is fuct. Take it to the shop that you bought it from, or if you bought it off the internet, contact JL. And see what they can do for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.