JL 12W3 in CP112. 4ohm or 2 ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GeoffM

Hey guys, New to the forum.

So I recently upgraded the system in my 99 Jeep WJ. Mostly alpine. But for sub I went with a JL CP112 (has 12W0 driver) and a JX500 amp. I like the sub, but I feel like it gets pushed pretty hard. Was considering dropping a 12W3 woofer in there. I"ve heard that box works well with it. But here is my question.

Was looking into maybe used one. But most for sale are 4ohm. JL says its good for 500w rms

but if its a 4 ohm that amp is only doing 300ish watts. Now I realize that 200 more whats isn't going to make a huge difference in volume. But I'm not sure if which I should do. 4 or 2 ohm? What do you guy think? Will I run into issues with 4ohm?

And before anyone gives JL any hate. I should point out. I'm dropping it in a JL box, so it would be kinda dumb looking if I put another brand in there. I'm just looking for another 6-10db. Pretty sure the W3 can give me that over the W0.

Well after the overwhelming response from you guys. lol I'm considering going with a different more cost effect brand. I can spray paint over the logo and nobody will notice. Since everyone hates on JL for how pricy they are. I think they are great subs, but I'm feeling bad about spending $250 on better woofer. So here is what I need.

12" Woofer that will work well

In the cp112 enclosure. It's 1.75 cu ft. The woofer in it is suppose to have a box tuned to 26hz, so I assume that's what the box is.

Amp will be JX500. So something good for 4-500 watts @2 ohm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after the overwhelming response from you guys. lol I'm considering going with a different more cost effect brand. I can spray paint over the logo and nobody will notice. Since everyone hates on JL for how pricy they are. I think they are great subs, but I'm feeling bad about spending $250 on better woofer. So here is what I need.
12" Woofer that will work well

In the cp112 enclosure. It's 1.75 cu ft. The woofer in it is suppose to have a box tuned to 26hz, so I assume that's what the box is.

Amp will be JX500. So something good for 4-500 watts @2 ohm.

Keep the W0 and spend your money on a box. Than you can change subs if you're not happy.

Keep the W0 and spend your money on a box. Than you can change subs if you're not happy.
We enclosure it's in is almost perfect for it. Everyone I have talked with says the w0 is pretty limited in SPL. Heard the W3 works great in that box.

We enclosure it's in is almost perfect for it. Everyone I have talked with says the w0 is pretty limited in SPL. Heard the W3 works great in that box.

That box is the weak link. It's tuned above 40hz with no port area.

Why do you need a box tuned to 26Hz????

Oh btw....those HO boxes made/engineered by JL are a joke...although engineered pretty well. They "limit" the sub. Just ask CSCStang. if you want high output, get away from the mainstream brand....go with another brand. Your wanting 6-10 db more isn't gonna happen unless you spend $$ or go with another brand and a custom build box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

GeoffM

GeoffM
Winston-Salem, NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Boomin_tahoe