Jl 10w3v3 ?????

emsdad
10+ year member

Va
I finally built a box that passed my expectations...........nail guns come in really handy........lol. My question is, the W3 has some really hard hitting lows but it seems some lows are a little distorted. I had a W1 and it did not hit nearly as hard as the W3 but it hit all the freq.. Is this normal for the W3? I have a 2ohm W3 with a 250/1 JL amp. The box is .66 cu.ft sealed with polyfil in it. I will say this where with W1 I had to turn the bass up on my Pioneer Premier 8MP to 3-4, I now have it at 0 and it hits harder. What is the difference in reversing the sub on the head unit? Thank You!!

Reversing the sub on the deck just changes the phase 180degrees. Probably would not help in this situation.

The problem is most likely the box. A larger box will generally have a flatter response curve but will also reduce mechanical power handling.

My .02

If the box is bigger it will handle less power?? I have the box the biggest it can be in the space allowed. I have a 03 Dodge Dakota Quad and have the sub behind the rear seat.

If that's all the space that you have, and you've already tried polyfill then the only thing that may help is a good eq to help round out the response curve. Other than that, looks like you've done your best with that driver and space you have.

negative. I have a wedge box that is 8" wide @ bottom and 5" @ top. I built it out of 1/2" MDF. With the deminsions I figure it to be .66 cu.

I dunno what to tell you....Are your gains set right?

If you are that dissatisfied(sp?) you could sell it and buy a better sub for your application. Or maybe try 2 8s or something.

Its not that I am not happy...........I more than pleased but like everything I want to get the most out of what I have. I have my gain set at the nominal setting, which is about in the middle. I thought about getting the optional remote knob for gain boost. What is a good setting for the gain? I can push the sub pretty hard and the amp barely gets warm...........should I turn it up a little?

If you do turn it up some listen to the woofer and make sure you aren't clipping the signal. It would be best to set your gain with a dmm. You may have gotten all you can out of this setup.

you should look for a bigger amp to power the w3

ive got my 12w3v3 running at 325rms but it can definatly take more... im looking to upgrade my amp so i can around 500rms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.