I've read the stickies, and talked to a million people.

Everybody keeps telling me I'm crazy for thinking about going sealed for a 3.5k daily. They say I can accomplish the same sq and full range of bass with a ported enclosure. So what frequency range would I need to get my box built to in order to mimic the sq that a sealed box provides? This is a legit question, I'm not trying to start an argument, or be a smart ass.

I really don't need that much rms. I'm building for 3.5k but I'll never touch that much power. I figured if I reached for that type of rms, then it would sound very clear at 1.5k. lol. That logic might be flawed, but I've had 1k setups in the past that sounded great turned half way up, but beyond that the bass got muddy and distorted. So, if I have 3k it will sound good at 1.5k, distortion wise, right?

Last edited:
So, if I have 3k it will sound good at 1.5k, distortion wise, right?
From everything I have read, high power subs are not really meant for sq. Their spiders and surrounds are stiff to protect them from overexcursion, hence making them poor choices for the nuances in bass dynamics. Even if the sub is put into a sealed enclosure for better control, the suspension is still the same. Now this is just what I have read from other users and articles. Nothing like real world testing to dispel your curiosity.
As for the distortion after a certain volume, I have experienced a similar issue in all my setups. I run mostly sealed enclosures and noticed that past a certain volume, I do not have an audible gain in bass. Instead, I get more cone movement and truck shaking. I believe that is wasted energy, so I never push my subs near their rms rating.

From everything I have read, high power subs are not really meant for sq. Their spiders and surrounds are stiff to protect them from overexcursion, hence making them poor choices for the nuances in bass dynamics. Even if the sub is put into a sealed enclosure for better control, the suspension is still the same. Now this is just what I have read from other users and articles. Nothing like real world testing to dispel your curiosity.
As for the distortion after a certain volume, I have experienced a similar issue in all my setups. I run mostly sealed enclosures and noticed that past a certain volume, I do not have an audible gain in bass. Instead, I get more cone movement and truck shaking. I believe that is wasted energy, so I never push my subs near their rms rating.

Thanks man. How much power are you pushing to your subs?

Thanks man. How much power are you pushing to your subs?
750 rms. So each sub is getting 300 rms and less. I am using a pair of 13tw5 flat subs and those things are a work of art. At conversation level, they cocoon you in bass. It is like the sound is coming from all around you. It must be that 7" voice coil that JL uses.

You drive a small car and want great SQ yet every single thread you make is about electrical upgrades, high wattage monoblock amps, and subwoofers (basically everything that is NOT SQ).

To be honest I would stop worrying about subs and starting focusing on how your going to sound deaden the car, what speakers/requirements do you want for the front stage, and what type of processing/DSP do you plan to use to tune the system.

The more you keep obsessing over subwoofers the more off-topic you will be going

I'm not building a sq setup. I just want clean, clear bass. From what I read trapping the rear wave produced by the sub is cleaner, not as efficient, but cleaner sounding. Everyone says go ported, which is more efficient, but using the front and rear waves takes away from clarity. I'm fine with losing spl, as long as it sounds good. Should I be looking into other arrangements like 4th order at a 1:1 ratio, or IB?

I'm not building a sq setup. I just want clean, clear bass. From what I read trapping the rear wave produced by the sub is cleaner, not as efficient, but cleaner sounding. Everyone says go ported, which is more efficient, but using the front and rear waves takes away from clarity. I'm fine with losing spl, as long as it sounds good. Should I be looking into other arrangements like 4th order at a 1:1 ratio, or IB?
Word of advice: do not overthink about getting everything perfect on the first try because you'll never get anything done.

I'm out. We've told this guy multiple times what he should do and it never goes anywhere (he's 100% overthinking this).

Get a DSP, get a good quality/deadened front stage, and do a single 12 inch in a custom box that's suited for daily. You'll have plenty of EQ/tuning options, good response curve in the front, well deadened vechicle, and will be able to rattle your brains out if your in the heavy bass mood

Word of advice: do not overthink about getting everything perfect on the first try because you'll never get anything done.
Exactly. Obsessing over the subwoofer when it's arguably the least important aspect of the build isn't a good idea (he's severely overthinking this)

750 rms. So each sub is getting 300 rms and less. I am using a pair of 13tw5 flat subs and those things are a work of art. At conversation level, they cocoon you in bass. It is like the sound is coming from all around you. It must be that 7" voice coil that JL uses.

That's the exact bass I'm trying to get, it surrounds you. But I'm trying to get that sound at a much higher rms.
I'm out. We've told this guy multiple times what he should do and it never goes anywhere (he's 100% overthinking this).

Get a DSP, get a good quality/deadened front stage, and do a single 12 inch in a custom box that's suited for daily. You'll have plenty of EQ/tuning options, good response curve in the front, well deadened vechicle, and will be able to rattle your brains out if your in the heavy bass mood

Exactly. Obsessing over the subwoofer when it's arguably the least important aspect of the build isn't a good idea (he's severely overthinking this)

I'm terrible about overthinking, and I second guess which makes it worse.

Looks like I need to start reading more about other parts of the build, as mentioned above. As far as the sub goes I'm probably going to drop down to a lesser sub. I can run my amp at 2 ohm and have plenty of bass. I think I was about to over pay for products I don't really need.

SQ is more about quality install. Decouple the speakers from the doors, time alignment, deadener, CCF, proper processing, etc.

Anyone that tells you that you cant get a good sounding system by using a ported box is a moron and you should stay away. Sure its a lot easier, but its not that hard in the first place.

I won't ever use a sealed box again. The best sounding box I've owned was custom built, but the best bandwidth box I've owned was a pre fab.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.