It's time......

efm80
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
whats up everyone, been awhile since I've been on here. I'm finally ready to buy some amazing front 6 1/2 components to go along with my 2 12" W7 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I've had Infinity Perfects for the last few years and they are just getting more harsh everyday. I have a JL Audio HD 600/4 that will be powering them so it will be 150watts to each side. Now I know this question has been asked a million times, but what do you guys think I should get?? I listen to mostly Trance and House music. I want some kick ass midbass, beautiful midrange, and much more smooth tweeters. The infinity's are so harsh and the louder you turn it the more it hurts your ears. I want to be able to turn it up as much as I want without feeling pain in my ears! My budget is $1000 so I know I can get a great set. My only real candidate right now that I want is the Focal 165KR2 2-way. They sell them at my installers shop and I can get them for a little under $800. I have always heard great things about Focal and my installer swears by them. What you guys think?? any other reccomendations? There are very few stereo shops they have HIGH end speakers on display to hear. Mostly just the cheap $100-200 pair on display //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif please help...Thanks!

efm80

whats up everyone, been awhile since I've been on here. I'm finally ready to buy some amazing front 6 1/2 components to go along with my 2 12" W7 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I've had Infinity Perfects for the last few years and they are just getting more harsh everyday. I have a JL Audio HD 600/4 that will be powering them so it will be 150watts to each side. Now I know this question has been asked a million times, but what do you guys think I should get?? I listen to mostly Trance and House music. I want some kick ass midbass, beautiful midrange, and much more smooth tweeters. The infinity's are so harsh and the louder you turn it the more it hurts your ears. I want to be able to turn it up as much as I want without feeling pain in my ears! My budget is $1000 so I know I can get a great set. My only real candidate right now that I want is the Focal 165KR2 2-way. They sell them at my installers shop and I can get them for a little under $800. I have always heard great things about Focal and my installer swears by them. What you guys think?? any other reccomendations? There are very few stereo shops they have HIGH end speakers on display to hear. Mostly just the cheap $100-200 pair on display //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif please help...Thanks!
efm80
Just curious, are you using the -3db option on the Perfects? Could help a lot with the harshness. I've heard this criticism of the Kappas quite a bit, but not so much on the Perfect's since they have the silk dome tweeter.

As far as a replacement is concerned, I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a set of components as I was when I listened to the very Focals you're talking about two days ago. I listen to a lot of Trance as well, and when I played some Tiesto on them I was simply floored. It's hard to cough up that much money for anything, but if you've got it and you're willing to spend it on speakers I'd say there's almost no better way. Perhaps someone has heard something better, and if they have I'd love to hear them as well. Those Focal's were incredible. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sound.

Just curious, are you using the -3db option on the Perfects? Could help a lot with the harshness. I've heard this criticism of the Kappas quite a bit, but not so much on the Perfect's since they have the silk dome tweeter.
As far as a replacement is concerned, I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a set of components as I was when I listened to the very Focals you're talking about two days ago. I listen to a lot of Trance as well, and when I played some Tiesto on them I was simply floored. It's hard to cough up that much money for anything, but if you've got it and you're willing to spend it on speakers I'd say there's almost no better way. Perhaps someone has heard something better, and if they have I'd love to hear them as well. Those Focal's were incredible. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sound.
I am using the -3db option, but still kinda harsh. And to be honest I think its the midrange that is super harsh, cause when I cut out the 2-4k frequency on my EQ it does help alot. Also these speakers are going on their 7th year (had them in an older setup of mine too) so I think they are finally just wearing out. Glad to hear some good feedback on those Focals. Almost 90% sure I am going with those. I can't wait. My other question was in reading alot of posts I see many members state that the install is truly the important aspect....My question is how so??? Like you mean deadening the doors? (which mine are) What else do you mean is important in the "INSTALL"? Thanks

efm80

part of a good install is deadening your doors, also trying to seal up your doors as much as possible, and then making sure your speakers is attached to a solid baffle. once you've done those 3 things then u can start to think about imaging etc etc.

What headunit are u running?

I paid $690 for a set of Focal KRX2 2 months ago, they sound so good with Techno music (Trance and Break Beat) and Rock loud and clear with no distortion, they sound a lot better than the old K2P and Polk SR.

On the crossover of this set give you a lot of options to tune, 12db slope or 18db slope, full mid range or flat, 0 to -6 on tweeter.

I set mine at 12db slope, flat mid range, -3 on tweeter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

efm80

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
efm80
las vegas,nv
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date