Is this ok for big 3?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ItsAJeepThing
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
As I was working on my big 3 I found out the wire running from the alternator went to my fuse box then a separate wire went from the fuse box to the batter with a fuse in between. I got my grounds replaced without an issue. I just went ahead and left the alternator wiring on but added a piece of 1/0 from the alternator directly to the battery. Is this ok or is there a better way to approach this? Everything seems to be working fine. I made a diagram of what I am talking about and will post it.

View attachment 26521719

Id bypass it since it wont allow for bigger ga wire. There was a thread a few weeks ago that someone had done that and could only fit 4 ga. I would bypass the stock fuse block and just use an inline fuse.

Edit: That is fine to leave the wire still there the current will take the path of least resistance.

So I could just remove the wire from Alternator -> fuse block and keep the 1/0 from alternator -> battery and my fuse block will get enough power from the wire with the fuse in it? Or in other words just how the new picture looks will work?

View attachment 26521720

Dont do that. If your going to do a big3 upgrade you need to do it right. That means 1/0 gauge from the battery to the alternator. 1/0 gauge from the the battery to the amp. Both positive and negative leads. 1/0 gauge from the amp negative to the grounding location in the car. or if you just want to use the chasis as a grounding point it needs to be no longer than 3 feet, and it has to be grounded to a solid chasis of bare metal.

Big three is also upgrading the alternator and upgrading and/or adding extra batteries.

I hope you dont fry your car.

this is correct

Dont do that. If your going to do a big3 upgrade you need to do it right. That means 1/0 gauge from the battery to the alternator. 1/0 gauge from the the battery to the amp. Both positive and negative leads. 1/0 gauge from the amp negative to the grounding location in the car. or if you just want to use the chasis as a grounding point it needs to be no longer than 3 feet, and it has to be grounded to a solid chasis of bare metal.
Big three is also upgrading the alternator and upgrading and/or adding extra batteries.

I hope you dont fry your car.
the fuck are you talking about? the big three is:

-upgrade wire from battery + to alternator +

-upgrade wire from battery - to chassis ground

-upgrade wire from battery - to engine block grounding point (or alternator - if you feel so inclined)

it has nothing to do with extra batteries or alternators...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.