is this normal?

Sounds like you wired it wrong. Try again. After you take your meters resistance into accoutn I bet your down around .25 or something like that.

So you have two DVC subs, and each sub has two 1 ohm voice coils?

If I understand your question correctly....

All the coils in parallel ~0.25 ohms.

Each sub's coils connected in series and then the two subs combined in parallel ~1 ohm.

Each sub's coils connected in series and then the two subs connected in series ~4 ohms.

All that being said, there is bound to be some "play" in the numbers because a 1 ohm VC won't necessarily show as 1 ohm on an average DC meter. And most average meters aren't that precise at resistance levels that low. 0.25 ohms might as well be a metal paper clip for most electronic applications.

If you are in doubt. Read each coil individually. If they all are in the the same ball park, your subs are probably fine and your final load should be +/- 0.5 ohms of what you wire them for.

You are measuring resistance with your meter. Your subs are rated in impedence. The difference is "resistance" applies to a DC circuit. "Impedence" applies to an AC circuit. The same resistor will have a different value on an AC circuit vs DC. This is why people measure woofers and get a slightly different measurement with their meter.

You are measuring resistance with your meter. Your subs are rated in impedence. The difference is "resistance" applies to a DC circuit. "Impedence" applies to an AC circuit. The same resistor will have a different value on an AC circuit vs DC. This is why people measure woofers and get a slightly different measurement with their meter.
This is precisely what I was about to type. Pay attention to these statements. This is your answer.

I'm not sure if read the OP right.

If you are checking just one sub then Ecrack and Mobile are correct. If you have both subs wired together then you need to rewire and check again.

exactly, I can't believe some one actually posted that.

i have both subs wired together but when i wired it to be a 4 ohm load it read 3.5-3.6 and also is it even possible to wire 2 dvc 1 ohm subs to a .5 load!!!! I WIRED IT ACCORDING TO THE12VOLT.COM
No it is not, but depending on your DMM it may appear to by wired like that lol. As for your reading you are just fine.

i have both subs wired together but when i wired it to be a 4 ohm load it read 3.5-3.6 and also is it even possible to wire 2 dvc 1 ohm subs to a .5 load!!!! I WIRED IT ACCORDING TO THE12VOLT.COM
Thats about right for DC current on a 4ohm load. As far as .5 ohms on (2) dvc 1ohms, no. but .25 yes. (2) dvc 2ohms can do .5.

Chill bro.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

needthat22

10+ year member
needthat22
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from