Is this at all common?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CSCStang

Enclosurist
OC, Ca
I'm running 2 SWS-12D4's with a Pioneer T5200 (bridged) in a sealed box in my 2012 Mustang. These subs hit pretty hard, but I've noticed that if I roll down the windows, or pop the trunk with the system on, these puppies THUMP!! Is this normal? I have the whole rear deck and trunk covered in Hushmat, which has nearly eliminated any rattles. Any thoughts?

I would port them, but I don't listen to rap and I'm pretty much out of room in the trunk for a bigger box. They are already forward facing.

Doesn't necessarily seem louder, just a definitely harder thump. It's too bad I can't keep the trunk cracked open a little haha

The window going down is just a weird bandpass effect with the cabin. Seems to happen in just about every vehicle. Door open gains even more in most cases. The pressure is almost always on the opposite side of the car, so if you roll down your passenger window or open that door, the drivers side is what gets louder.

Lowering the windows improves low end response and it happens in all vehicles with any sub arrangement. The reason why is that bass notes are very long (the lower the longer). With the cabin sealed up the reflection causes a faster decay/deformation of the wave form, which causes them to change frequency and thus sound different to us. By opening the cabin up you allow lower bass notes to travel past your ears without as much change in their shape, which makes them sound more like they sounded before they started bouncing off things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CSCStang

Enclosurist
CSCStang
OC, Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from