Is the Sundown SA 12 a good choice for my application?

The sub is a great sub, arguably the best in that price range. I would get it from Car Audio Bargain from the B-stock section and it will be even cheaper.

The problem is that box. Sure it will work but it isn't optimal and I am not a fan of pre-fab junk. Why do you want a 12? maybe look for something that holds a 10" instead because you don't really have room for a 12. I'm sure the specs on that box are not taking into account the displacement of the sub. That could significantly raise your tuning and lower the NET volume of the box. I've designed quite a few under the seat boxes and one for a 12" sub is never really a viable option when taking into consideration a lot of important aspects such as tuning and port area. There is no way they are getting 1.85 cubic feet NET from under the seat with only using 2/3 of the space available unless they aren't using 3/4" material. The bulge where the sub goes looks very thin and weak. I would not use this

The sub is a great sub, arguably the best in that price range. I would get it from Car Audio Bargain from the B-stock section and it will be even cheaper.
The problem is that box. Sure it will work but it isn't optimal and I am not a fan of pre-fab junk. Why do you want a 12? maybe look for something that holds a 10" instead because you don't really have room for a 12. I'm sure the specs on that box are not taking into account the displacement of the sub. That could significantly raise your tuning and lower the NET volume of the box. I've designed quite a few under the seat boxes and one for a 12" sub is never really a viable option when taking into consideration a lot of important aspects such as tuning and port area. There is no way they are getting 1.85 cubic feet NET from under the seat with only using 2/3 of the space available unless they aren't using 3/4" material. The bulge where the sub goes looks very thin and weak. I would not use this
I used a fox box in my 04 f150. They sound good, but they don't have tremendous output. The back bulge is made of plastic

The box has already been ordered so that's kinda out of the question at this point. I haven't ordered sub or amp yet. Was going to run a SA 12 D2 and the cab 1600 wired to 1 ohm recommended by this forum in the amp section.

The box is your weakest link at this point, and it is also the most important aspect when it comes to getting the most out of your system. Sure it will work but it is your most limiting factor when it comes to your set-up. The sub is a great choice, and the amp is for your budget too. If they don't live up to your expectation it will be because of the box. SO yeah, I would say at this point sub and amp are the least of your worries.

I know it's bought but watch this video and look at the end result... I WISH I could afford to get something like this built... BTW... his tel # is in the comments if you want to go with 2 subs eventually... LOL!...

I know it's bought but watch this video and look at the end result... I WISH I could afford to get something like this built... BTW... his tel # is in the comments if you want to go with 2 subs eventually... LOL!...

Sure, it looks nice but I can't see that box being optimal for 12" subs. I don't get why people are trying to squeeze 12's in the airspace that is only adequate for 10's. Im assuming that is a sealed box because there is no way that he has the 4ft^3 that 2 ported 12s would need. There is probably no way he has the 2ft^3 for sealed 12's either but it is much more likely. Choking 12's in inadequate airspace is the epitome of why prefabs are such junk. So what this guy here made is essentially a really nice and expensive custom box that will probably perform similar to a prefab. If you are going sealed under the seat, there are plenty of cheap prefabs you could use that would yield similar results.

If I were you OP I would return the box (I'm sure there are return policies) and change your plans to a 10" sub, you will come out better in the long run. You are obviously putting a lot of thought into this, why settle for a box that wont allow your sub to perform well.

BTW... I'm not suggesting THAT box... sealed doesn't really work well with SA-12's I hear... but I'll bet he(or someone else) could come up with something a lot better than a mail order plastic-backed prefab... I just love the results using that CNC process...

Any prefab enclosure isn't made to blow the doors off a vehicle.....people don't get this. They're mass produced to give ok sound.

However, a custom box will blow away a prebaf box/enclosure any day.

So your just talking about running a single 10?
Exactly, don't get caught up in worrying about the diameter of the subs. A 10" sub in optimal airspace will outperform a 12" sub in non-optimal airspace all day long. It isn't about fitting the biggest sub you can fit, it is about putting the right sized sub in the correct airspace. A 12" sub usually needs around 2ft^3 when going ported and that doesn't include port or sub displacements. That is double the space needed for the optimal requirements of a 10" sub.

I would take a 10" ported sub tuned to spec under that seat way before I took a crammed 12" in that box. With a 10" you might even find a decently priced pre-fab (still not recommended) that will come a lot closer to the airspace requirements of the SA series.

Exactly, don't get caught up in worrying about the diameter of the subs. A 10" sub in optimal airspace will outperform a 12" sub in non-optimal airspace all day long. It isn't about fitting the biggest sub you can fit, it is about putting the right sized sub in the correct airspace. A 12" sub usually needs around 2ft^3 when going ported and that doesn't include port or sub displacements. That is double the space needed for the optimal requirements of a 10" sub.
I would take a 10" ported sub tuned to spec under that seat way before I took a crammed 12" in that box. With a 10" you might even find a decently priced pre-fab (still not recommended) that will come a lot closer to the airspace requirements of the SA series.
According to the air space of this box it does meet the requirements of a SA 12 at this point im just going to run it. If it sounds like trash then you can say I told you so. Like I said this is my first system and I don't think I'm into this stuff near about as much as you guys. I mean I was impressed with a single punch p3 12 in a 1.5 box on 1000 watts the other day at the audio shop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.