Is my amp dying?

ok so i went out and took a look at the amp and speakers. Im a newb so bare with me.

I tested the voltage at the amp. DMM + & - to the power and ground terminals on the amp. It stayed at a steady 11.86 to 11.90 the lowest it went was 11.86 when the speakers cut out. I didnt think that was a significant drop so im assuming the voltage is fine. BTW this was tested when the car was on but not started. I forgot to start it and try the test but im 99.9% sure it would of still cut out regardless if the car was started or not.

I tried to follow akheathen's guide on testing the speaker outputs but i somehow got lost on what to do. You said disconnect the subs but how am I suppose to test the it. I didn't know what to set the multimeter on. Also with The "put a 4ohm load on it" suggestion i didnt understand what to do. So in a sense I got lost and decided to get some other info. Im not sure if its useless or not but here goes.

I tested the terminals...well ill just let you see. I read somewhere this is not an accurate way to get the ohm load but i just did it anway. I set the DMM to 200 ohms and tested each terminal at the sub, while still wired though. Each + and -terminal combination gave me 1.5-1.9 ohms. Im lost as u can see idk wth im talking about lol but here are some pics of what i did.

4jtfo4.jpg

f0vnd1.jpg

qobrjr.jpg

15z1jxj.jpg

@akheathen - If you could, can you tell me what to properly set the DMM to to test your methods. Here's a pic of my DMM

2a4x2iu.jpg

play the music and see what the voltage at the amp is dropping to when on. then disconnect the wires at the box and measure the voltage coming out the speaker wires

Disconnect the speaker wire from the amp and get a final ohm reading of both subs using the speaker wire that goes into the amp.

Measure the voltage while the car is started, with the - lead on the amp ground input and the + lead on the amp positive input than test the remote wire + on the amp also using the amps -

the newer hifonics r much better.
Really? I was under the impression that the OS Hifonics were pretty decent (some zed-ishness...) and the new ones were ehhh...

I don't think the amp would get scared and protect itself with that small of a voltage drop. Sry man I wish I could help more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Really? I was under the impression that the OS Hifonics were pretty decent (some zed-ishness...) and the new ones were ehhh...
I don't think the amp would get scared and protect itself with that small of a voltage drop. Sry man I wish I could help more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
old school as in 90's hifonics not 05

lol, put your meter on 200v, and put that ac/dc button on ac. do it first with the speakers off. then do it with the speakers on and see how high the voltage goes before it shuts off. you have 2 2ohm loads on it, so you can series those to 4ohms, instead of running them parallel. however, looking at your readings, you may have cooked wires...they look kind of pansy. so, while you have the wires disconnected, ohm each on out. that reading that you took that shows 1.9, is .4 higher, and that's all in the speaker wires. basically, paralleling the 2 wires you didn't have the meter on, so it should read like .8......... sounds like you are getting extreme resistance in the little wires, reading over 1ohm each without load, blah, blah, blah.... basically, i believe they are cooooooookeed..... start with those, then see if it still does it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.