Is it worth it to go active?

The_Grimy_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
I have been told by many to just go ahead and delete my rear fill... Thats fine, but I am on a hunt for new amps, and am curious if I should get a 4 channel so I can go active, or just get a strong 2 channel and run my components with their crossovers. What are the benefits of going active? I understand you get to pick your crossover points... Also, what are some strong 6.5" components? If I am gonna delete my rear fill then I want some real loud components!

do you want to be loud or sound good?
if you want both, then you dont know what you want.
I mean I want to maintain SQ. But I want something that isnt gonna distort for a while. I like my music loud, so I feel that the rear fill actually helps with that. Maybe I just dont run my front stage to its potential...

well if you want to go active and be loud do a 3-way active //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I know you can't though lol

well if you want to go active and be loud do a 3-way active //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I know you can't though lol
Here you go talking stuff... I could keep the Levaithan, and then buy your amp... Lol!

If you go active, you don't have to buy components. You can mix and match home audio woofers and tweeters from stores like PE. However, I did a little survey and it seems like most of the really good woofers are 7 or 8inches. There are a few good 6.5 woofers but they're 8ohm. If you can't fit 7 or 8inch woofers then stick with car component speakers (with or without passive crossovers).

I personally don't think it's worth going active unless you have a processor like JBL-MS8. You need more amplifier channels. You need the active crossovers. Tuning your active setup can be a *****. Why not just use component speakers for which most of this tuning work has been already done?

Regarding high power component speakers, check out

Alpine Type R (110watt)

Polk MM

Alpine Type X Pro (not Type X Ref)

If you go active, you don't have to buy components. You can mix and match home audio woofers and tweeters from stores like PE. However, I did a little survey and it seems like most of the really good woofers are 7 or 8inches. There are a few good 6.5 woofers but they're 8ohm. If you can't fit 7 or 8inch woofers then stick with car component speakers (with or without passive crossovers).
I personally don't think it's worth going active unless you have a processor like JBL-MS8. You need more amplifier channels. You need the active crossovers. Tuning your active setup can be a *****. Why not just use component speakers for which most of this tuning work has been already done?

Regarding high power component speakers, check out

Alpine Type R (110watt)

Polk MM

Alpine Type X Pro (not Type X Ref)
Ok, that makes sense, thanks. And there is no way I am gonna get some 7-8" to fit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.