Is it normal for an amp to get too hot to touch?

rbtrucking
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Its recently started getting really warm where I am from and I noticed that when I really push my amps they get very hot during summer days. In the winter they really just get slightly warm. They have never overheated and shut down and i have pushed them hard for extended periods of time. Im just wondering if its normal for them to get too hot to touch? Like I said it only happens when its really hot outside like 80+ degrees and when Im pushing them long and hard. The amps are 1 jl audio slash 150 x2 and the other is a a memphis mcd1100.

in most cases the amp is hot what amp some ams just get hot

with no air flow of some sort its gonna happen on a hot day

overall no

depends on variables

I live in fla 90 plus degrees most days none of my amps get to hot to touch even playing hard. I would say this isnt normal. Does the amp go into protection? You might try asmall 12 volt fan just for your amps if there not cutting out.

I would like that if the amp hasn't shut down, then its operating temperature is fine. My 5-channel amplifier gets hot during summer too. It's definitely too uncomfortable to touch. However it never shut down for running hot in a running car. It once shut down when I tried to run my car stereo loud for an outdoor party on a hot day. One thing you can do to help it out, is to run the AC.

i live in dallas and it is hotter than satans cock every day. ive been running a non-cooled MTX 4002 on my new 10 and it is almost too hot to touch before i turn the car on. then i bang and it gets even more hot.

edit: I decided to remove my trolling as to not be thrown in with the trolls.
must be the grammer..

did you see the spelling lol

I have cooked eggs on a few amps before.....clipping FTMFW! If your not burning your fingers your doing it wrong bro
you have a friend request on youtbe(Bassknots)

I didn't say clipping.i was gonna say that lol

try dropping you gain a notch or 2 and see what happens.whats you deck settings ?

if its a high amp drop the volume and or the gain a bit if its a sub amp back off the bass at the deck if you can .see how that plays out if it gets cooler than it bees clipping

unless you just have a inefficient amp and or low voltage /a ohms issue.

See(destined2race) alot of varibles

Its recently started getting really warm where I am from and I noticed that when I really push my amps they get very hot during summer days. In the winter they really just get slightly warm. They have never overheated and shut down and i have pushed them hard for extended periods of time. Im just wondering if its normal for them to get too hot to touch? Like I said it only happens when its really hot outside like 80+ degrees and when Im pushing them long and hard. The amps are 1 jl audio slash 150 x2 and the other is a a memphis mcd1100.
well seeing as how it only happens when its hot out i would call it quite normal

all my power and grounds are the same gauge. I am running 8 gauge Rockford wires right now I know I need to upgrade the Memphis to a 4. Also like I said it has never gone into protection mode or cut out. I figured it might be normal because like the other person said it is the heat sink so of course its gonna be hot if it's doing it's job.

all my power and grounds are the same gauge. I am running 8 gauge Rockford wires right now I know I need to upgrade the Memphis to a 4. Also like I said it has never gone into protection mode or cut out. I figured it might be normal because like the other person said it is the heat sink so of course its gonna be hot if it's doing it's job.
Your wires are too small.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.