is 1/2" plexi thick enough for a window in a box?

I just left a well respected shop in Bakersfield CA and the 8 months I was there I never saw any on the guys use anything over 1/2". The thing is though, surface area. So I'm also saying I nver saw a box with a peice of plexi over 12x36". So I guess it was good enough for that application. Also for keeping it put, its not hard just be sure to tape and taper a hole ever 2"s and either caulk or twoway tape a seal on your 3/4" edge which would be smart to predrill as well. So that how I would say it would be safe.

The shop I worked at has a website http://www.tdgmotorsports.com check em out. They sponsered the fastest drag boat in the world...

If you are going to do just a little window or something I'd say 1/2" would be thick enough, but if you are going to do a whole side of the box in plexi then I don't know.

Are you talking about plexi, or lexan? Lexan is much stronger than plexi and 1/2 would be ok for a small enclosure. There are pro's and cons to each size. Let us know how big a piece you are going to use and we may be able to better tell you what size to go with.

ok, well I built it with plexi that was 1/2 inch thick, and what do you know, the thing flexed and literally SEPERATED from my box. This is quite astonishing to me, since it is glued, sealed, and fastened with no less than 20 screws

Oh well, time to start again. That Brahma is a beast!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

powerslide

10+ year member
powerslide
Vancouver Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from