Installing Double Din in a 2005 Chevy Equinox

gamblehouse2003

Ohio
First off, I am a beginner, so sorry for sounding like a noob, and I appreciate all the help I get! :) I just acquired a Pioneer AVH - P3200DVD. I want to install it in my 2005 Chevy Equinox LS which currently has the original factory radio. I will not be installing any additional equipment. I am under the understanding that door chimes and Onstar are controlled through the factory radio. If it will cost me less money, I can careless about keeping these features. If someone could help me select the least expensive yet appropriate wiring harness and mounting kit, your help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at the Metra 70-2103 wiring harness and the Scosche GM1599B mounting kit, would these work, or am I way off base? Thanks!

way off base ,you need to get the integration system,other wise your check engine light will come on too.its all part of the computer system now,so it needs to be there.

Thank you mylows10. Well, the check engine light is already on... lol. I picked this pioneer dd up for $80, and my current factory radio is having issues with eating cds. I really want to do this on the cheap. I have looked at the class II harnesses my Metra and Scosche, but I cant bring myself to pay that much for chimes I hate the sound of Onstar. Is there anyway of utilizing an inexpensive harness? Thanks.

If its similar to a silverado it will be an older saturn harness, for some reason I am thinking an 98ish saturn. You just have to pull your fused accessory/turn on lead from the ignition.

Well, what I have figured out is that since my 2005 Chevy Equinox is an amplified system I need a specific harness for a clean install. After contacting Metra they informed me that the Metra 70-2103 would only work if I did not have a factory amplified audio system in my vehicle. The service specifications number U65 in the glove box shows the vehicle is amplified. Plus the very large amplifier under the rear passenger seat.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

For a clean DIY install I was going to have to invest in a

Class II harness which retained Onstar, Chimes, and was for an Amplified system. I had 3 choices, the Metra GMOS-08, Digistar-EA, or the Scosche GM16SR.

The Digistar-EA was the cheapest, but hardest to find available since it has been discontinued. I was not comfortable buying from a cheap looking website so I decided against that harness. The Metra GMOS-08 was the most expensive so I opted for the Scosche GM16SR with matching

Din Kit GM1599B.

I ordered directly through Amazon since they offer an A-Z guarantee. Over all for both items after shipping my total came to $91. I am waiting for them to arrive.

Maybe this info will help someone like myself in the furture..

Received the din kit and GM16SR harness in the mail today. Before ordering I confirmed with Scosche that the GM16SR was a class II interface and retained the factory amp. Well the wiring harness to the pioneer avh-3200dvd had a pb bypass wired to it already when I purchased it. The scosche harness wired directly up to the pioneer as directed. But when I went to the car and unhooked the factory stereo on the back was a large harness connection and a small one. The scosche mounted directly up to the large harness. But there was no connection on the scosche for the small connection. When I powered on the car the chimes worked and the radio powered on, played dvd's, connected to a usb, and so forth... but no sound.

Was the second small harness connecting into the factory stereo the amp, and if so, if the scosche works with amplified systems the way they say they do, how do I hook up the amp.

The bypass has a blue/white, black, and light green wire connecting to a relay and a black ground coming out which I wired into the scosche harnesses' black ground.

All the wires coming from the pioneers harness I used according to the diagram provided by scosche. But in the diagram there is no wiring for an amp. I wired all the wires except for the blue/white which went into the relay. And scosche's diagram shows no blue/white wire. Is this the amp wire, and if so, where do I hook it up to?

Issue fixed, this noob can learn... first install ever... and everthing looks and sounds great.

The blue/white wire on the pioneer harness is of course the amp power, the Scosche harness did not have an amp wire. What I did was splice into the blue/white wire before it went into the pb bypass, ran a wire from there to the back of the factory harness to the orange wire. Sound is great, movies play when in gear, no static, chimes work radio plays until car door is open, everthing is great. The only thing that is no longer operable is OnStar, and the vol. controls on the steering wheel. I was very impressed with how good the factort sub is in this Equinox, the new avh-p3200dvd allows for utilization of sub the factory stereo never did! Next project... replace the 4 lower door speakers with new pioneers and a new amp... I have the speakers figured out, but I am at a loss for the amp, I do not want to spend more then $150...

Issue fixed, this noob can learn... first install ever... and everthing looks and sounds great.

The blue/white wire on the pioneer harness is of course the amp power, the Scosche harness did not have an amp wire. What I did was splice into the blue/white wire before it went into the pb bypass, ran a wire from there to the back of the factory harness to the orange wire. Sound is great, movies play when in gear, no static, chimes work radio plays until car door is open, everthing is great. The only thing that is no longer operable is OnStar, and the vol. controls on the steering wheel. I was very impressed with how good the factort sub is in this Equinox, the new avh-p3200dvd allows for utilization of sub the factory stereo never did! Next project... replace the 4 lower door speakers with new pioneers and a new amp... I have the speakers figured out, but I am at a loss for the amp, I do not want to spend more then $150...
Thank you for posting this information. My daughter drives a 2005 Equinox, and I've been looking for the appropriate harness for a new install. Currently, her amplifier makes a buzzing sound and the factory amp is almost impossible to find. Also thanks to other members who contributed to this p[ost.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.