Installing Components

Immortal
10+ year member

Hi, I'm going to be buying a good high power component system this summer without going crazy on price (no im not buying $1000 competition grade speakers) and so far I have been looking at the Fosgate 6.5s because I have some good deals on EBAY and other places online. Here is the model:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=34&family_id=29&item_id=91973&locale=en_US&p_status=

I like Fosgate because they made the great subs I currently have in my car and they are stylish as hell. However if you have any suggestions, feel free to post them here.

Here is the problem: I have a 2004 Ford Escape that uses 6x8 oval shaped speakers and since the component sets are better round in the 6.5in range, I need a way to mount them in my car. I'm told speaker baffles will work, and I understand the general idea of what they are, but can anyone provide me with more exact info on how I would find the right baffles to buy or modify in order to get them to fit?

Also what are common installation options for the tweeter and crossover? I would prefer not to damage the stock trim but im not opposed to drilling a hole for the tweeters in the door trim if that is where it sounds best. Any good ways to mount them without damaging the trim?

The same thing for the crossovers. I believe I have to tuck them inside the trim in the doors near the speakers? I have been installing dynamat and it looks like there will be plenty of room to just drop it in between the door and the trim panel.

Thanks for all your help.

if your not to sure about the process ask a friend if they will help you

the 6x8 thing can be fixed easy by getting an adapter from crutchfield/bestbuy/circuit city

usually 20-30 bucks

The crossovers you just gotta find a spot you can "hide" them in, you dont want water to get in them so remember that.

the same goes for the tweet.

try the factory tweet location (if one) and then see how it sounds

lots of people will say it doesnt sound the best..........well to them atleast.

My tweets sound good in the factory housing

"The crossovers you just gotta find a spot you can "hide" them in, you dont want water to get in them so remember that."

The sound deadener I installed isolates the trim from the window inside the door so water shouldn't be a problem

"try the factory tweet location (if one) and then see how it sounds"

ill have to check but I dont think there is a seperate "tweet" location. I have just 6x8 2-way speakers so I only have peice per door

"and rockford may make nice sub's but i think there comps sound too tin-e"

I know its all personal taste, but what kind of components do you recommend for that price range then? I also know that RMS isnt as important for speakers but Id like to stay in the 100ish range for the speakers because I want more poweful ones than the set I have now (50w)

"The crossovers you just gotta find a spot you can "hide" them in, you dont want water to get in them so remember that."
The sound deadener I installed isolates the trim from the window inside the door so water shouldn't be a problem

"try the factory tweet location (if one) and then see how it sounds"

ill have to check but I dont think there is a seperate "tweet" location. I have just 6x8 2-way speakers so I only have peice per door

"and rockford may make nice sub's but i think there comps sound too tin-e"

I know its all personal taste, but what kind of components do you recommend for that price range then? I also know that RMS isnt as important for speakers but Id like to stay in the 100ish range for the speakers because I want more poweful ones than the set I have now (50w)
To save time -- use the quote button;)

To Make a plate just remove the old speaker, place it face down on 1/4''(or whatever thickness fits) mdf and trace around it with a pen/pencil. cut it out. Then use that to mount your mid/tweet.

When it comes to the right location for your speakers. Try to keep them as far away from your ear as possible and keep the tweet/mid the same distance away from your ear. This is so the sound from both/all speakers arrive to your brain at the same time keeping the sound in phase. This is why kick panel location is so popular.

Since you like Fosgate, check the model number of the "T" series 6X8 comps in my sig... mine are sold, but see if you can find a set... they were recently discontinued, I would think you could find them at a closeout price. They are excellent for the money.

To Make a plate just remove the old speaker, place it face down on 1/4''(or whatever thickness fits) mdf and trace around it with a pen/pencil. cut it out. Then use that to mount your mid/tweet. When it comes to the right location for your speakers. Try to keep them as far away from your ear as possible and keep the tweet/mid the same distance away from your ear. This is so the sound from both/all speakers arrive to your brain at the same time keeping the sound in phase. This is why kick panel location is so popular.
It seems most installations want me to drill a tweeter size hole in the top of my door trim panel, but then the sound will originate closer to my head compared to the stock speaker location where I will install the midrange. Im not ruling kickpanels entirely but it seems like I would lose footspace to that. I dont know how much because I havent even looked at any yet, but are there other options for a good place to stick a tweeter?

Yes I saw the T series that you have, and I notice they are 6x8 component speakers, but most people agree that round speakers are better than the oval shape I have so I might as well get the more powerful round 6.5ins.

EDIT: Jesus most of these kick panels im finding through google are $100+. $300 for a custom one made for a ford. Thats crazy. Im not spending more on kickpanels than I am on my speakers!

If its a stick shift its more tricky to make kick panels. I never spend big bucks on pre- fabed kicks. I usually make them myself for about $40 of material. What location is the stock 6 by 8's? I think that they are in the doors. Are they mid or lower door? If they aRE lower that would be better. Try the door location and keep the tweet as close to the mid as possible. Take a pic for us with the doorskin off.

Lower door by the feet facing the middle. I could install the tweeters in the door right next to it and point them towards my head I guess, but then the speakers arent facing my head.

Im not opposed to making or necessarily buying kicks, but Im not exact a fiberglass craftsman so Im not sure how to even get started with that and googling has mixed results. Oh well, perhaps baffles in the stock position with the tweeter in the trim next to it is better?

"To Make a plate just remove the old speaker, place it face down on 1/4''(or whatever thickness fits) mdf and trace around it with a pen/pencil. cut it out. Then use that to mount your mid/tweet. "

How do I mount the baffle to the door? Some kind of glue?

you can use the screws that hold the speaker to the door. of coarse you have to cut a hole in the plate for the mid and use the screws provided with the mid to mount it to the plate.

What about for the tweeter? Would I want to put the tweeterin the baffle too if I have room on the side since its an oval spot? Then they will be both the same difference from be, but the stock location is facing the middle floor instead of my head. Kicks sound like they would be better for more optiumum placement but Ill have to keep looking into prices on them.

Am I going to lose a lot of sound quality with the components since the stock location unlike kicks arent facing upwards?

Yes you will loose sq, But its an easy install. If you have time and patience, you can aim the baffle. Mounting the tweet flush would be better than top mount. So cut a hole for the tweet as well. Custom kicks are easy to make but time consuming to make them look nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.