Installers i have a quick hu question

mike75356
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
pittsburgh
So basically this is for anyone who works as an installer or has a 2000 chevy impala. Can you install an aftermarket hu since the computer conects to the factory one( such as turning out the oil or tire monitor)all that stuff runs through the factory hu so can you put a diffrent one in? I rember reading something about it before but cant remember what the results where?

Yes you can change your headunit. You will need to get a module that will allow for normal operation of the cars data information. There are several companies that make these pieces. At my store we use peripheral from aamp of america. Here is the link to the application guide (http://peripheralelectronics.com) These pieces run from $100 to $125 retail.

I have a friend with a 2k monte carlo... he has his factory HU mounted in the trunk with a connector.. he told me the audio shop he had the unit installed at said the factory radio has to be connected... next time i see him i'll see what exactly it does

Three options:

1. Remove the radio and wire the accessory power wire to the key switch. You'll lose all audible warning chimes, any function that required head unit controls to reset, and the Retained Accessory Power feature that keeps the head unit on until you open a door.

2. Buy a relocation harness and put the factory radio in the trunk. The harness should include a speaker that will produce the door chimes; you'll have to mount that inside the cabin somewhere. You will still need to find a new accessory power source and you'll lose the RAP feature.

3. Buy a data-bus adapter that takes over the functions of the factory radio. It will produce the warning chimes and also provide an accessory power output that uses the RAP system. This is generally the most expensive option.

Removing the factory radio will not affect air bags, door locks, factory alarm, engine control, etc.

that all seams like a pain in the a$$ just for a radio!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

It's getting worse, too. Check out the new Impalas, Malibus, G6, etc with a vehicle information button built into the factory radio. Removing some of those will light your dash up like a Christmas tree.

Three options:
1. Remove the radio and wire the accessory power wire to the key switch. You'll lose all audible warning chimes, any function that required head unit controls to reset, and the Retained Accessory Power feature that keeps the head unit on until you open a door.

2. Buy a relocation harness and put the factory radio in the trunk. The harness should include a speaker that will produce the door chimes; you'll have to mount that inside the cabin somewhere. You will still need to find a new accessory power source and you'll lose the RAP feature.

3. Buy a data-bus adapter that takes over the functions of the factory radio. It will produce the warning chimes and also provide an accessory power output that uses the RAP system. This is generally the most expensive option.

Removing the factory radio will not affect air bags, door locks, factory alarm, engine control, etc.
So is this common to all later model GM vehicles? How do you find out if a particular make/model has this "design defect?"

Open the door, put in the key and listen for the door chime. If it comes from the driver's door speaker, it's being generated by the radio.

My quick list from memory:

Cavalier and Sunfire 2000+

Grand Am, Malibu and Alero 2001+

Monte Carlo and Impala 2000+

Full-size trucks, Avalanche, Escalade, Tahoe and Yukon 2003+

Grand Prix 2004+

All Trailblazers & Envoys

All Colorado and Canyon

Bonneville and Park Avenue 2000+

Aurora 2001+

All above will lose warning chimes with factory radio removal.

No problems with:

Blazers, S-10 or S-15, Lumina, Intrigue, Century, Astro Van or anything with the DIN1/2 radio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.