installation

bdavies11
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
im installing a new pioneer HU into my car and i was woundering what is involved in installing this myself. Do i need an installation kit? Someone told me to find out what gauge wiring I need and im pretty much clueless about all this. Can anyone give me some info on what all i need to do this myslef. Thanks.

yes monsoon but im replacing the stock radio with the new pioneer radio because my monsoon speakers blew out a while back and i replaced them with the pioneer 4 way speakers and they dont sound as good hooked up to the factory radio

pioneer speakers are teh **** anyways IMO... But as far as wiring... like saturn said, you need a wiring harness kit (like 12 bucks) a kit to mount it in ur dash (another 12 - 20 bucks)... and a few screwdrivers, wire cutters/strippers, personally i like to use solder and heat shrink tubing on my installs, but there's nothing wrong with using quick disconnects or butt connectors... just dont twist em and use electrical tape to hold em or use wire nuts... they corrode, loosen and cause all kinds of havoc... as far as what gauge wiring you need, whoever you talked to is an idiot... cuz unless youre installing an amp as well, you dont need any additional wiring.

would it be possible to use the factory monsoon amp to power the speakers instead of the HU or should i just wire the speakers to the head unit. I think thats why i was told to find out what gauge wiring to get.

You should probably just run the speakers directly from the head unit. The Monsoon amplifier may have built-in equalization or crossovers that wouldn't work well with the new speakers.

Not to mention that the stock monsoon speakers in the cameros are dual voice coil. You would have been better off just buying replacement stock speakers from the dealer...and putting those back in..

if your already in the process of rewiring and replacing components and can't go back, then i would suggest a beefy 6.5" with a solid four channel amp to power the speakers with the use of your aftermarket radio. This is the only way your going to be able to have your system sound as good or better than the stock system... oh and a small subwoofer would do wonders too.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ya i should have stuck with the stock speakers but i didnt know at the time that aftermarket speakers wouldnt work well with the monsoon radio. I do have the pioneer 6.5 4 way speakers which i will be wiring to the Head Unit. BTW Mobil, I do have a little somethin more than a "small" sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif Just got 2 pioneer 12 inch TS-306DVC's to be powered by a 1800 watt kenwood class D amp. I know its not the best system in the world but its my first and pioneer seemed to be the best quality stuff i could get for my budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.