infinity kappa 5x7/6x8 not loud enough

bnunez

Hey guys im new here, got tired of searching for stuff on google, all hit or miss anyways im having an issue. I have 4 infinity kappas 5x7/6x8 2 ways installed on my doors and infinity kappas 6x9 3 ways on my rear deck. i have my amp set to the correct gain via a DMM, but the 5x7 always get drowned out by the 6x9.. is it the speaker placement that causing that, and if it is what can be done?.. maybe changing them for 6 and halfs?

Hey guys im new here, got tired of searching for stuff on google, all hit or miss anyways im having an issue. I have 4 infinity kappas 5x7/6x8 2 ways installed on my doors and infinity kappas 6x9 3 ways on my rear deck. i have my amp set to the correct gain via a DMM, but the 5x7 always get drowned out by the 6x9.. is it the speaker placement that causing that, and if it is what can be done?.. maybe changing them for 6 and halfs?
2 in each door? And what amp is powering them?

one in each door, sorry forgot to mention is was a ford five hundred(sedan) the four 5x7 is being powered by a pioneer GM-D9500F 400 watt RMS, the 6x9 by a crappy jensen 760.4 but only two speakers hooked up to it. I did try to run the 6x9 off the pioneer, and the sound was still noticeably better than the 5x7/6x8

not yet, each of the 5x7/6x8 have their own baffles through so do the 6x9s...just put them on a few weeks ago as it rains often and i was tired of the cable oxidizing , but before the baffles.. same issue.. dont know if baffles count as deadening:D

did you replace the seal that goes around the front of the speaker, and stops sound from re-entering the door cavity? Like this..

cdtinstall4.jpg

You need a seal in between the outer edge of the speaker and the door panel. the door is full of holes behind that panel, so sound waves that are coming off of the rear of the speaker are getting through the gap and canceling out the sound that comes out the front of the speaker. and vice-versa. sound that is coming off of the front is re-entering the door cavity. also, do you have a door speaker out of phase? (wired - to +, + to -) and one more thing, how are you getting power to the door speakers? how much of the stock wiring is involved? did you run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers directly, or hook it up to where the stock amp/headunit's was?

a little bit of the stock wiring was used so that i wouldn't have to go through the grommets on the door myself.. then ran those to my amp, and yea they are wired correctly.. if u know where would i get a baffles like the pic you showed me, and ill go head and run the wire straight from the amp to the speaker without any stock wiring used, see if that sounds better.

It sounded better for me, but my stock wiring was garbage. and thats my ride in the pic //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif ...anyways, it's just the thickest, narrowest foam cell tape i could find at lowe's in the weatherstripping dept. you can get it at any hardware/home-improvement store. It cost about 4 dollars. The difference in sound was night and day, though.

edit: as you can see, i had to use two layers, even though i used the thickest tape i could find. you may or may not need to bridge such a large gap.

There's a few things I would add;

rear deck speakers hit the window and reflect forwards, and are phase coherent. Front speakers are firing towards each other and are hence out of phase physically, and are not typically aimed at your head. The sound that reaches your ear is off axis and or has to bounce a few times. Lastly, the speaker wires that go from the rear deck speakers are short but the ones that run the doors are long, so there can be loss of signal due to resistance in the cable. Any one of these factors are subtle but combined they can make enough of a difference to explain your experiences.

If you want your rear speakers not to drown the fronts, then turn them down. Stereo sound format was designed to be reproduced left and right speakers in front of you, and not the rear speakers. Most serious SQ installs either don't use rears, or send them a very different kind of signal designed specially for a 5.1 type sound system (Dolby Pro Logic, Logic 7, DTS, etc)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.