in line fuse needed after distribution block? and what maximum fuse should I be using

armnhammer214

Dallas
Quick question, I'm running 0 guage ofc from battery to a fused distribution block, I'm fusing a foot behind battery with a 250 amp anl fuse. Being that my distribution block is fused, would it be overkill or unnecessary to fuse after distribution block to amps? My amps are 2000.1, 1400.4, 1000.4.

And is a 250 amp anl fuse good for this set up? Thanks in advance. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

It depends how big the wires coming off the block are. Even if you get an electrical overload surge and it's doesn't break your big 250 amp fuse, it can still overload the actual wire if it's too small and can't handle the amperage and you don't want that running through your car. I've seen it before. I used to work at an audio install shop and when we installed distribution blocks we always still fused each wire coming off the block just to be safe.

the small wires arent fused at 250a if its a fused distro... i dont think you're talking about a properly fused distro block^

the small wires arent fused at 250a if its a fused distro... i dont think you're talking about a properly fused distro block^
I understand this. The fuse is to make sure the entire system doesn't pull more than 250 amps. I'm saying if 200 amps pass through it won't kill the power to the wires so if the wires are too small for that load they can compromise and catch fire. I've seen it happen before.

I understand this. The fuse is to make sure the entire system doesn't pull more than 250 amps. I'm saying if 200 amps pass through it won't kill the power to the wires so if the wires are too small for that load they can compromise and catch fire. I've seen it happen before.
if what wires get 200a? im still having a hard time seeing which specific circumstance this would occur in, each output wire is rated for its ampacity, as is the input wire, if at any point anything shorts above the wire ampacity it will blow a fuse.

if what wires get 200a? im still having a hard time seeing which specific circumstance this would occur in, each output wire is rated for its ampacity, as is the input wire, if at any point anything shorts above the wire ampacity it will blow a fuse.
What I'm saying is he has one big power wire coming into the block and then separating into 3 individual wires for each of his amps. Obviously the main wire going into the block is rated for 250 amps but say he gets an electrical surge and only 200 amps comes through. It won't kill that main fuse and if he only has a 6 or even an 8 gauge power wire going to an amp they can't handle that load so they can catch fire and you don't want that running through your car. If you individually fuse each of the 3 power wires coming from the block into the amp you avoid this.

What I'm saying is he has one big power wire coming into the block and then separating into 3 individual wires for each of his amps. Obviously the main wire going into the block is rated for 250 amps but say he gets an electrical surge and only 200 amps comes through. It won't kill that main fuse and if he only has a 6 or even an 8 gauge power wire going to an amp they can't handle that load so they can catch fire and you don't want that running through your car. If you individually fuse each of the 3 power wires coming from the block into the amp you avoid this.
no, but it will kill the fuses for the 4-8 gauge wire(s)... this would prevent a large amount of current from passing through a wire not able to handle it. each wire is fused for its own ampacity.

are you thinking about an unfused distro block?

this is a fused distro block:

Fused-SF4MDPT-detailed-image-1.jpg

what you're referring to does in fact have the problem you're referring to, but a fused distro block does not.

no, but it will kill the fuses for the 4-8 gauge wire(s)... this would prevent a large amount of current from passing through a wire not able to handle it. each wire is fused for its own ampacity.
are you thinking about an unfused distro block?

this is a fused distro block:

Fused-SF4MDPT-detailed-image-1.jpg

what you're referring to does in fact have the problem you're referring to, but a fused distro block does not.
Oh okay I see what you're saying. To be honest I've never seen one like that. So that one has a separate fuse for each wire going out? The one I saw that had a problem had one input, one large fuse and then 3 outputs. So all it had was one big fuse and not individual fuses like that block. If he has one like what you posted then he's fine. I understand what you're saying now, sorry for the confusion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.