if you did add rear fill..

Etac
10+ year member

Angry Bunny Killer
Jersey
ok dont gimme hell about a frontstage... i know a lot of ppl here dont prefer rearfill .. but some do.. and i've been considering it..

i would like to angle my speakers better and forget about rear speakers.. cause they would get loud enough if they were properly placed.. but i dont think im gonna be able to add kick panels because my car is a little tight in that area plus i drive a stick so the clutch doesnt help...and the stock locations are really low in my doors/point straight to my ankles.. in order to change the angle.. i would have to do a lot of chopping to my door trim... which atm.. i dont wanna do (unless i can find a good price on junked ones)

basically if i did add rear fill.. what would you ppl suggest cause i have a few options... my stock rear speakers are in the back window panel... but since anothe rmodel of my car comes with them in the back doors.. the holes are drilled in the metal (not the trim but thats easy to cut)

so i can either add just midbass's... midrange... or full range speakers in either of those locations.. i know if i put them in the rear panel they will reflect off the glass and this would raise the soundstage a little.. but cause timing issues and i dont wanna pull it back *that* much.. and if i put them in the rear doors... the seats might block all the sound coming from them... but might also blend a little better (or pull worse)

if anyone has any input... it would be apprecaited.

I would suggest if your going with rear fill, get a set of coaxials for the rear. Cross them over at 120hz or above so that they dont pull your midbass rearward. You just want them there to add a lil more sound to your system. I would also suggest you run them off a seperate amp and wire a toggle switch to them, that way you can decide when you want to have rear fill or not.

Personally, I like both. I went years thinking I had to have rear fill, then one day new setup would not allow it, and I just enjoyed having my front stage. But, to me its always up to the person who ask the question, after all, your the one going to be listening to the system?

well yea i would def add another amp - i have the amp in my headunit turned off and even so.. if i did only put those 20 watts towards the rear speakers.. no way i would even hear it =P

Another reason I suggested a seperate amp for the rears is that you can use its gain to control the output from them, so that they wont take away from your front stage.

I use rear fill in my Escape. As far as I can tell they take nothing away from the front stage. My front stage is solid and I use a 4 channel amp so the gains on the rears are set very low in comparison to front stage. I would go with the coaxles as well.

You have an Altima don't you?

My SE-R has the spots for rear door speakers and I'm gonna be adding some back there. I am, hopefully going to be running subless with 4 midbass's that can effectively play down to 30 hz.

I've already pulled out the rear deck speakers (long ago) and my rear doors are currently empty. I'll be doing the 4 midbass setup within the next few weeks. You're welcome to check it out when it's done, and you can take a listen to my current setup if you would like. (I'm in Edison).

Parag

A true 'rear fill' application is meant for just that, filling the rear space with 'ambiance' sound. For this reason, it should be bandpassed and atenuated. Do not run the rears too high, like 120hz and above as suggested earlier, this will certainly have the effect of pulling the soundstage rearward. If you bandpass the rears properly, you should be able to play them abit louder (atenuated less) before they start drawing away from the fronts.

As for what speakers to use, doesn't matter alot. Less power, not playing particularly high or low... not the recipe for needing high priced speakers. And no need for coaxes, or a tweeter for that matter. Just run mids.

if you did add rear fill...

i would crash my car into a gas station in hopes it would explode.

aside from that, i would consider the fact of the purpose of rear fill. because if making it louder is your aim, and you are interested in sq, then you are going about things in an entirely wrong manner.

as stated above by audioholic, rear fill is for ambience, and should be bandpassed to allow a bit of sound out. but not there for reinforcement purposes.

if you are compensating on the lack of volume of your front stage with rear speakers, and you are going for sq- dont waste your time or money, because its not really much louder so to speak, imo - its incredibly dificult to tame unless you have it all ran independantly with time correction. in otherwords, its going to have an echo.

your best bet is to maybe add some shims or some modeling clay to angle the baffle up toward you a bit, maybe just get more power for the speakers (try bridging a cheap amp and see what happens for 2x the power) i dunno. maybe you have terrible cancelation problems and need to work that out first. theres lots of things you might not have tried to solve your stereo woes.

why not just run the rear speakers from the H/U, no amp????
because at a certain volume - usually around 3\4 high, headunit power will distort. and it sounds horrid. thats why.

I have cheap Phoenix Gold Octane coaxials in the back, and I usually keep the fader to the front so I don't hear them. I think I am going to get rid of them and bridge my 4ch amp to give my front comps more power. The back speakers are only in my car for passengers anyway, so I am just going to get rid of them since i never listen to them. My rear fill doesn't make much of an impact at all on my sound stage anyway since the fader keeps most of the sound up front. If i turn it completely off, I really don't miss it.

Not to be anal, but if the rear speakers aren't bandpassed and atenuated, they arent really rear fill. They are just rear speakers faded a little.

Not meant for anyone here, nor a flame towards anyone... just seems the only criteria for 'rear fill' these days is simply calling them that.

Do them in the rear shelf, off a separate amp and wire the trigger to a toggle switch, so when you're in the mood to be loud you can turn them on. Best of both worlds IMO....

good point there req, i didnt think about that.

i have couple of Q:

1) what do you mean by "it should be bandpassed and atenuated"

2) if you have front speakers and sub only. how will it sound to the people in the rear??? all their going to hear is bass and little from the front?? couse thats what in worries about.

lets say with this combo:

Rainbow powerline CS + 12inch mag, sealed powered by hopefully

Audison LRx 5.1K ( 2X160w@4ohm + 1150w@2ohm)

Bandpassed means it has a high pass AND lowpass filter. It plays a spcific passband of frequencies. Atenuated means the volume is decreased.

People in the back seat get the shaft, screw them. Let them buy their own car with their own front stage. If they were important, they would be in the front seat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.