IDMAX sounds horrible?!?!

B|2imstone
10+ year member

my friend just got a 12" IDMAX v.3 dual 2 ohm and hes powering it off of a tsunami db1100 amp which gives it 1100 watts and 1 ohm. the gain is set to a little over half, with the LPF set to around 80 Hz. the sub is in a sealed box, around 1.3 cubic feet. so after the shop installs the sub it sound nice but when you turn it up past 23 on his headunit (which goes up to 33), i hear noise from the sub everytime it hits. the lower the note, the louder the noise. its almost like a rattling noise. we took the sub out again to double check everything and everything was fine. the guy at the shop said it was doing that cuz it needs to be broken it. so we turn down the gain a little more and leave the shop. couple days later, my friend is driving when suddenly the sub cuts out. he looks at it and when he moves the speaker wire slightly the sub comes back to life, although it sounds different. he tightened the connections and everything works, but the sub seems to be making more noise and not hitting as hard. plus when it hits really low notes there is a lot of excursion of course, but i notice ripples on the surround and it makes a loud, extremely horrible sound. i though the sub was gonna blow up! so we're kinda stumped now. i turned down the gain on the amp and he's gonna keep breakin it in. hopefully the noise will go away but i kinda doubt it will. anyone ever have a problem like this with their idmax? i'de appreciate the help. thanks.

Is the sub sealed well against the box? that may cause the sound, could possibly have a hole in the surround, i know i hit mine with a drill on accident and it was making a sound that resembled death, but i just brought it back and got a new one without again quesitons, gotta love the local shops.

-Jason

yeah, they all do that. ID says they were designed to dimple. I don't like it at all, though. As for the knocking sounds, it could be your tinsels. Apply a round piece of cotton on the part where the tinsels look to meet the cone behind.

rattling noise..hrm..i'm willing to bet that the voice coil is rubbing against the T-yoke. the idmax has the tightest gap tolerance of any sub i know. its easy to throw it off alignment. how easy? by even just pushing the cone down with your hands. doesn't happen all the time, but it can.

how do i know? because i took my idmax apart. lol.

also, i did remember eric over at ID saying something about having that much power in such a small box. i can't exactly what kind of noise the other guy had, but when he made a 1.8 cube box for it, the sound went away. it was probably a flopping noise or something..iono..lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.